Skip to content

Icewind Dale Series ?

Just by curiosity, do we intend to create an Icewind Dale Enhancement ?

Comments

• diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    It's been discussed as a possibility, dependent on the success of BGEE/BG2EE... one of a few steps on the road to a possible BG3.

Judging by the frustrations and release delays of BGEE, I am thinking that it may be considered too ambitious a project with not enough payoff... I imagine that the vast majority of IWD fans willing to pay for an IWDEE are really a small subset of the BGEE customers. Sales of such a project would likely be much lower than the BG series. Planescape, however, reaches out to a slightly different fanbase, and may get more attention.

All in all, I think it depends on whether or not they manage to streamline the process of code cleanup enough that they can do the other games without the extensive efforts they are putting out for BGEE.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    most of the work done on bgee can be directly applied to bg2ee which would make that project a lot easier than if you were to do it from scratch. i would imagine that similar concept could apply to iwd. its true the fan base for it isn't as big as that for baldur's gate but i think there are enough of us out there to make it worthwhile
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    What about merging IWD EE into BG2 EE as just another area that you can travel to from the docks district of Athkatla. I mean, in Icewind Dale you're just mercenaries and no one seems to care about your background, so you could be anyone, even a Bhaalspawn. I know the game years don't line up, but I doubt most people would care about that. If Icewind Dale were put into the BG2 engine there would need to be some changes to be sure, but the two games are similar enough that it seems like it would be simpler for the designers than to re-create both engines.
    VedwintheTyrant
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    I really hated the zig zagging trekking.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited October 2012
    ARKdeEREH said:

What about merging IWD EE into BG2 EE as just another area that you can travel to from the docks district of Athkatla. I mean, in Icewind Dale you're just mercenaries and no one seems to care about your background, so you could be anyone, even a Bhaalspawn. I know the game years don't line up, but I doubt most people would care about that. If Icewind Dale were put into the BG2 engine there would need to be some changes to be sure, but the two games are similar enough that it seems like it would be simpler for the designers than to re-create both engines.

Ugh... I care about the years not lining up. Icewind Dale changes a lot from the time before Drizzt's party visits to the time of BG2. Easthaven changes from a fishing village to a moderately sized city, etc. You disregard timelines etc you lose some of the magic in my opinion.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited October 2012
    I think Icewind Dale 1 is the game that could most benefit from an Enhanced Edition. Great dungeons, beautiful game, not enough content and horrible expansions. Additionally some more overland travel (areas you have to pass through to fet to your destination) and non-linear content would have made this game (which I already love) so much better.