Skip to content

Secret Doors (not!)

So.
I am attempting to make a Secret Door to get through a "wall"
so I do a quick Google search and find:
http://www.neverwinternights.info/builders_tut_urkdoors.htm
Great! seems detailed enough to assist,...
so I tried to follow the steps, and a "door" does seem to appear, but accomplishes nothing.
(did not even seem to be initially hidden)

so I figure, HotU has LOTS! of Secret Doors, I will just try and learn from that. A to B, B to A,... easy.
NOT!
Below you see the initial entryway into Undermountain Level 2 - Central
where just after the cut scene one discovers a Secret Door into the Illusion Room.
4de9kyjca4y1.jpg

WHERE exactly is the "Trigger"? the "Hidden Door thingy"? the "DST_Soandso Waypoints"?!?! :*
Like Level 1, there are NO DOORS!!!! Nothing!
yet for as many times as I have run these Campaigns, I know that they are,....

Where am I lacking the understanding here?

Comments

• TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    I can't comment about the campaign, but here's how I make a secret wall door:

Paint Triggers --> Standard palette --> Secret Object Trigger --> Secret Walldoor (Stone) - Reset

note: I use the Reset option because I build a sort of persistent world style mod and I want things to reset

I paint the trigger, then give it a unique tag. (e.g. SecretDoor94034)

I make a waypoint called LOC_SecretDoor94034 where I want the secret door to appear.

I make another waypoint called DST_SecretDoor94034 where I want the secret door to take me.

Then I realize I forgot to set the DC to discover it and do that. And make another trigger using the same process to allow the player to return the way they came.

I hope that was what you are asking for.
  • CeyarrecksCeyarrecks Member Posts: 44
    Thank you for the input.
    I will try these steps and hope I am able to achieve the end result sought :)
    I am sorry.
    perhaps there is yet more preliminary understanding I am lacking, but, "Secret Walldoor (Stone) - Reset" only seems to make a line,... not a door. what am I supposed to do with a line?
    lines for waypoints make perfect sense,... "walk from A, to B, then to C, return to A"
    but a door? :* color me lost,...
    ok... I *think* I am getting closer,... was using the wrong "trigger"
    so I have now placed a Secret Door from the Secret Object section, given its unique tag to the nearby Waypoint, and poof! poof! two-way travel between wall! wooT!
    However, these doors do NOT seem to be "Hidden"
    even with Reflex Save set to 1 (meter)
    it is visible from across the room.
    can it be set to 0? would that require one actually standing next to it to be found?
    I tried putting OnHeartbeat from HiddenSecretDoor, but that just gave me two doors.
    ok! found a slightly more clear guide on Secret Doors at
    https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php/Grimlar_-_Guide_To_Secret_Doors
    Now only need to change the out-of-place wooden door that appears,...
    also a placement Trick I learned:
    if one (temporarily) changes the Appearance Type of the Invisible Object to Door, Metal one will see EXACTLY where the eventual Secret Door will appear. (in my case, I am using a Metal Door)
    Once adjusted for exact placement, change Appearance Type back to Invisible Object, Save Module,... etc.