Skip to content

Creating Your Own Baldur's Gate World to Play in.

Does anyone know if a feature would be possible? Perhaps as an expansion pack, one that is completely separate from the game even? (I am also going to the post the exact same thread in the suggestions category, but wanted to get a feel for everyone else on a general level as well.)

I would LOVE to create my own NPC's, write their conversations, create my own character's responses, set devious traps, include merchants with the weapons of my choosing (even make those weapons extremely unique to the character selling them as well as the location; instead of the typical long sword, short sword, dagger latter).

In addition to creating the plot! My imagination has more ideas than I could ever hope to, or begin to for that matter, play out. (Please do not turn down this idea merely because of personal association but...) I would love to create a scenario similar to Drizzt's, but also a scenario similar to Bruenor taking Mithral Hall. Or even play as the Drow that came against Mithral Hall. And not to forget! The many different peoples involved within the war created by King Obould. Think about it, you could set your main character atop the same high ground as Banak, Torgar, Shingles, Wulfgar, Cattiebrie, Pikel, Ivan, Tred, Pwent, and all the others.

I'll be honest, my inspiration for this idea is almost exclusively to recreate R.A. Salvatore's novels, -but- I know that you, reading this, can't deny the fact that your imagination has ventured into the Forgotten Realms. You cannot honestly deny to yourself that your mind’s eye has not created some kind of scenario that you would love to create and play out. Or for that matter, simply download from a community of shared scenarios; a scenario akin to your own ideas.

THINK ABOUT IT!

Comments

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited October 2012
    I assume you mean that it would be like a map editor that ordinary people who don't understand programing could use to create levels and characters?

If so, than I definitly agree! I've created many levels in games like Civilization and Age of Empires and for me that is often more fun than playing the regular game. I've always wanted to do the same thing for Baldur's Gate and have come up with several ideas over the years, but would much rather use a map editor than learn how to mod.
  • YES! And yes again on the reference to Age of Empires! I would add Hero's III to that list though >:]

And again I completely agree with you on the reluctance to learn how to mod. Very few people have time for that, let alone the patience. I'm glad to see this idea already moving in a positive direction.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I think such a feature would be great, but even if possible it would probably be limited by the fact that backgrounds are hand painted. You'd have to use existing images, it's not like Age of Empires where you used Snow1 and Grass3 and Rock2 and so on to create new environments. Even the buildings, I believe, are part of the background rather than items on top of it, so if you wanted to make a new town it might end up looking a lot like Beregost! That said, even the ability to write your own NPCs and quests would be pretty fun.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Neverwinter Nights has a really powerful editing tool, you can build your own worlds, create your own NPCs, items, quests, etc.
    It all runs in the ugly-ish Aurora engine, unfortunately, but the editor is very powerful. I don't think there are many limitations beyond what Aurora itself can do.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I strongly dislike the NWN engine, though I love the games, classes, story and lore, there's no way I could put up with playing through them a second time due to the engine.

The engine used in Baldurs Gate was the best for this genre of games, I always wished there could be more with the same top down engine but with modern graphics and real time backgrounds, but wizards of the coast wouldn't ever let that happen.
  • I think such a feature would be great, but even if possible it would probably be limited by the fact that backgrounds are hand painted. You'd have to use existing images, it's not like Age of Empires where you used Snow1 and Grass3 and Rock2 and so on to create new environments. Even the buildings, I believe, are part of the background rather than items on top of it, so if you wanted to make a new town it might end up looking a lot like Beregost! That said, even the ability to write your own NPCs and quests would be pretty fun.

(In a voice of optimism)
    Who's to say that a Snow1, Grass3, and Rock2 format couldn't be created?!

Personally, I would be fine with simply being allowed to insert NPC's, merchants, etc. into already existing maps. Take the city of Baldur's Gate for example: You could create so much more than a hunt for Sarevok with an entire city and unlimited resources at your imaginations disposal!

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Near Infinity editor is a pretty good start for this sort of thing. You might need to borrow area maps from elsewhere, but anything other than artwork should be fairly easy to modify
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    An Infinity Engine Toolset! Great!