Skip to content

What does a Caster Level Bonus actually do?

I'm playing IWDEE with a load of mods by Weasel aka LavaDelVortel. I've gotOrra - a fighter/mage/cleric. I have a choice of equipping her hat/hood/helm/head slot with either a helm giving a +2 AC bonus, or a hood giving her a +2 caster level bonus. The trouble is I don't know what the caster level bonus actually does - so I can't make an informed choice. Does anyone know caster level details?

btw Orra is interesting and fun to play
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1153448#Comment_1153448

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    It just means any spell is cast at a level 2 higher than your current one. If a spell lasts 1 round per level, it will therefore last a couple more rounds. If it does 1d6 per level damage it will do an additional 2d6 and so on.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    So ... good for some spells, no change for others. I may find myself furiously swapping headgear for the rest of the game.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    also to note as well, in the non modded game, spells are capped at level 30 in IWD ( if they have a progression in some area that is ) so if your casting class hits level 30 then that caster level headgear will become useless ( unless it can affect dispel magic checks perhaps, but I don't know about that one )