Skip to content

Thac0 bug with Legacy of the Masters / Xarrnous's Second Sword Arm?

In my current Legacy of Bhaal playthrough I've found that the gauntlets of weapon expertise (Legacy of the Masters) aren't quite as good as the item description and even the inventory screen and the character record suggest. Upon equipping them, the inventory screen and the combat stats section of the character record will display a +1 Thac0 and a +2 damage bonus conform the item description. However the gauntlets do not apply said Thac0 bonus. The same goes for the gauntlets of weapon skill (Xarrnous's Second Sword Arm).

The damage bonuses are properly implemented however; I've tested damage by enabling extra combat info in the LUA file.

The screenshot below shows Kivan (at level 7, kitted as an Archer and equipped with the Dead Shot) hit a Doppelganger first with the gauntlets of weapon expertise and then with the bracers of archery. The first attack roll comes with a +2 missile bonus to hit for being a level 7 Archer but no further missile bonus to hit, while the second attack roll has a +4 missile bonus, thanks to the bracers of archery working as advertised.
(With the damage bonus it's the other way around: the first attack comes with a +2 damage modifier from the gauntlets of weapon expertise while the second attack rightly doesn't, as the bracers of archery don't give any bonus damage.)

clkp30a1a0ny.png

Personally I've never noticed this before, and I couldn't find any threads on the forums on this issue, either because a mere +1 to Thac0 is likely to go unnoticed on most settings (unlike Legacy of Bhaal difficulty where every bonus to Thac0 counts due to enemies' massive AC bonuses) or because it's to do with my install. I'm playing a modded v.2.5.17.0 version of BGEE so this could be a mod issue, although I'm not aware of any mods that would change the properties of the gauntlets.Can someone replicate this?

BTW I haven't tested this in BG2EE yet.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    All right, my test. Two party members; a fighter with lots of HP, splint mail, a helmet, and 18 Dex to act as a target; AC -1 versus missile. A thief with a bow to shoot; THAC0 18 before gauntlets. No mods.

First, with the bracers of archery. Character sheet shows a "Missile Adjustment" of -2, improving THAC0 to 16.
    Hits on a 17, misses on a 16.
    hopcdrbihj5v.jpg
    q6z7qf86u34w.jpg

Second, with the gauntlets of weapon skill. Character sheet shows a "To Hit" modifier of -1, improving THAC0 to 17.
    Hits on an 18, misses on a 17.
    ejgyaukgrqry.jpg
    i9wqs5b6g24q.jpg

The gauntlets of weapon skill work.

On the other hand, there is something a little funny in the detailed display. The bonus from the bracers of archery shows up as +2 to the attack roll, while the bonus from the gauntlets of weapon skill apparently shows up as -1 to your THAC0.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    jmerry wrote: »
    On the other hand, there is something a little funny in the detailed display. The bonus from the bracers of archery shows up as +2 to the attack roll, while the bonus from the gauntlets of weapon skill apparently shows up as -1 to your THAC0.

I see, this confused me. The gauntlets work indeed. A to hit roll of 19 resulted in Alora missing a Sword Spider without the gauntlets but hitting it with the gauntlets equipped. Thank you for the prompt clarification.