Skip to content

Fastest Multiclass (Leveling) ?

I don't know the game statistics enough. What multiclass levels the fastest? I know this has to be a two-class setup, that's about all I can figure out. My first instinct was thief plus something else, but I'm not sure.

Comments

• GammaPhaseGammaPhase Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2020
    Nice chart dude, thanks for taking the time to post it. I was on the right track then. For some reason I thought it would have been Fighter/Thief, but Cleric beats that! That's unexpected I thought the spell casters would have been the worst for sure.

And mostly they are. I wonder why Cleric is so cheap? They can cast in armor.
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    My totally unresearched, and unsupported by any facts view is this.
    Both Clerics and Thieves were mostly support characters in D&D2.5.
    I like to imagine that the level tables were tweaked like this to make them attractive to play during group adventures. Every party needs a Thief, and a Cleric - fast leveling was probably a way to encourage pen and paper players to choose those classes and round out the party.
  • DenKelDenKel Member Posts: 5
    My totally unresearched, and unsupported by any facts view is this.
    Both Clerics and Thieves were mostly support characters in D&D2.5.
    I like to imagine that the level tables were tweaked like this to make them attractive to play during group adventures. Every party needs a Thief, and a Cleric - fast leveling was probably a way to encourage pen and paper players to choose those classes and round out the party.

Makes sense for Thief. I may just suck with them, but I find a pure thief like Yoshimo to be not that useful outside of skill monkey work. I think they can be good but you have to do a lot of micromanaging.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Pure thieves can be frustrating because they do take some management. Keep in mind that Yoshimo is a Bounty Hunter and so he has both normal traps and Bounty Hunter special traps, and the latter can be "thrown" (targeted like a spell). Otherwise, backstabbing, if possible, is the name of the game, but yes that does require dodging around corners and such.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2020
    Repeatedly one shotting unsuspecting enemies into small chunks with x4-x5 damage does have it's appeal, especially vs the very lame unmodded AI enemy mages.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Thieves are awesome.. but if you expect it to deliver as good as an archer, fighter, or any type of "standard attack" character, do face-tanking or anything of the sort, you'll be disappointed.

However, if you do bother to use the skills they got for theft, scouting, traps and backstabs, then you have a very very potent party member.. the traps alone are entirely gamebreaking if you actually start using them.. you can blow down dragons in a single round.. (Lay traps, debuff dragon and kite into traps)

A swashbuckler on the other hand can hold it's own in just about any situation.
    edited December 2020
    Khyron wrote: »
    the traps alone are entirely gamebreaking if you actually start using them..

Are traps effective if you don't know the game inside and out? I've never actually made it past.. probably Act 2, I'm guessing in the second game. The last thing I remember is somehow making it through a dungeon with a black (shadow?) dragon.

I'm going to do a full playthrough from BG1 though (never finished that one either). I'm determined to finish them this time, by any means necessary. I should probably start a new topic about class choice, but I think I'm going to go with either a plain fighter or fighter/thief. Being gimped on levels bothers me, so I'll probably go single class, even if it's not awesome from the powergamer perspective.

Post edited by GammaPhase on
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Traps can still be helpful even if you don't know the game back-to-front - if nothing else, setting down snares before resting in wilderness areas on the off-chance you get ambushed while resting gives you an edge in that battle, and if you're in a situation where you're scouting invisibly/stealthily, you can also scout out good spots to lay traps and lure foes through.
    That's such an incredible tip! Never would have thought of that. Usually I just hit rest and hope to god we don't get ambushed in the middle of it.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    The game also telegraphs most fights if you are paying attention. This doesn't always help you, especially late in BG2, but in BG1 you can often kite vulnerable enemies into your traps.
  • SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
    It's funny, I always think the same thing about a single-class Yoshimo-esque thief in my party, when I carry one. Like, very boring and useless in combat, and almost like there's some feeling of it being a waste, even with the full knowledge of their non-combat utilities.

Buuuut I'm a person that generally scouts everything ahead with MS/HiS and Find Traps. So the Thief character is the one I end micromanaging the most, including listening to their little selection and command vocal clips. Again and again and again. So while they seem extraneous in combat, I got to thinking they're generally my most utilized/selected/manipulated character, and I definitely hear their voice the most...so maybe not that extraneous, even if they're a single class.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    In a casual playthrough, the thief is probably the parties' MVP. Just think of all the traps you'd stumble into, loot you'd NEVER get from locked chests, not mention all the missed exp for disarming either.