Skip to content

Gras not rendered

Hi all,

anyone ever had the issue that gras is not rendered at all?
Using the latest patch and no one seems to have a similar problem, never even found any related thread in all the forums I searched through.
It seems like whatever setting I choose and which combination of setting I try, I never see any gras at all (in rural tilesets for example).
Tried with mods like Facelift / Verdant Wilderness and so on and of course also without, but nothing changed in this regard.
Also tried with completely initial user folder, verified files in Steam and such.

Regards,
Ravick

Comments

• RavickRavick Member Posts: 6
    I am now very sure that it is due to my system setup. Just tried it again with a fresh installation on my second computer, there the grass is rendered. So I also gave my main computer a completely new installation. But still no grass is rendered.

All system components (drivers etc.) are up to date. Nvidia driver version is "460.79" and runs on a GTX 2080. I've even experimented with all sorts of driver settings, but nothing helps.

I already opened the ticket NWNS-7984 a few days ago and hope that it will be looked at soon.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2020
    Did you go into the options and configure the grass distance and display?

Graphics - Tweaks - Grass - Full Grass

Graphics - Tweaks - Graphics Grass Render Distance

Graphics - Tweaks - Advanced - Graphics Experimental Render Grass Sorted
    edited December 2020
    Did you go into the options and configure the grass distance and display?

Graphics - Tweaks - Grass - Full Grass

Graphics - Tweaks - Graphics Grass Render Distance

Graphics - Tweaks - Advanced - Graphics Experimental Render Grass Sorted

Yeah, tried all of these in various combinations. None of them any showing effect.
    Is there any kind of hidden log I could inspect to search for related errors? There is nothing valuable in nwclientLog/Error1, even after turning on logging for "Model errors" and so on.

I also disabled all overclocking meanwhile, reset my graphics driver settings, tried turning off Windows 10 "hardware accelerated gpu scheduling", disabled all possible overlays/processes/anti virus. And all that with a competely fresh NWN installation on Steam. Also tried different resolutions and scalings. Modified the setting.tml in thousand different ways including the hidden "exclusive/borderless/windowed" settings. All my drivers are totally up to date too.

Here are my main specs, for whatever it may be good for, really hoping a dev will pop up here someday or answer my ticket :smiley: even though I could possibly arrange with it someday, I am just too curious to find out the reason now. And I can not imagine that I really am the only one who ever had this problem :disappointed:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
    16384MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
    Driver Version 460.79
    3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)

edited December 2020
    What the... just tried closing steam and starting the game without it running in the background. Lo and behold, gras is suddenly rendered again! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

So I guess the next interesting part is to find out what exactly Steam does to prevent the rendering of a whole bloody component of the graphics engine? I've already disabled "Shader Pre-Caching", the overlay and remote play. But no success yet. I will keep all my esteemed readers up to date for sure :smiley::smiley:

EDIT: Well, wasn't able to find a functional solution for when Steam is running. So screw that, will always use the exe or even better my mod manager from now on to start the game and close Steam just before. I am very curious now if anyone else has this issue or if even the devs could reproduce it :neutral:
    Post edited by Ravick on
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    You've checked that you're not subscribed to any workshop content? The fact it works without steam (which therefore also skips the loading of workshop content) might suggest that's what is going on.
    JuliusBorisov
    Yeah, this also came into my mind while clearing some mods (like Verdant Wilderness) from my subscriptions. I prefer to handle all my mods in the "Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool", which also manages workshop subscriptions by copying their contents and creating separate installable/uninstallable files. I realized that I uninstalled some mods from the tool while still having active subscriptions for them in the workshop. Well, after tidying up my subscriptions, everything works perfectly fine so far, even when Steam is running in the background and/or NWN was started with it.

So this whole issue seems to be just another reminder to mod carefully, especially when using different sources of mods.