Skip to content

Can you extract conversation files from mods? Aka, how to get the most out of companions mods?

mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
So I love BG, I love it all the more because of the the great mods, iv got hundreds of hours in the games and I feel like I barely scatched the surface of what the modding community has to offer, but sometimes I find myself frustrated with lack of documentation from certain mods.
For example I downloaded Kelsey mod recently, I read some good things about it and was curious about him, his story and his interactions with Imoen, I tend to do just about everything with all the new or expanded companions I chose for the playhtrough but oftentimes I find myself not really sure if this is all there is.
Thats not to say I didnt find Kelsey a fun companion, but I am very frustrated that I have absolutely no clue as to how much of the mod I have actually gone through, if there is more to go with the quests, or if there are more conversations I have yet to trigger, it makes it hard to just finish a playthrough because I rarely feel like it should be finished.

Hence my question. Is there a way to extract conversation files in like a text format from the mods, or something like that? Or is there a good documentation somewhere online and im just too dumb to find it? Many mods are very well documented (Like the npc project) some are relatively easy to find the rythm of (like Imoen romance, after a few tries) but some are just really impossible for me to understand and going to forums to ask for help is hard when you dont really know what you are looking for.

Anyways, end of the wall of text, any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    You can indeed open them with a simple text editor. If they have been traified, look in the languages folder of the mod for the strings.
  • mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    Hi, thanks for answer.
    Issue for me is, I dont really know which files would those with text be, majority of them are unopenable unless I select it manually to be opened in text editor and then most of them come out a jumbled mess.
    here is a screen of the folders in the Kelsey mod, if I open them they all have extentsions I simply dont know. Some are ITM, some are D or 2DA and such.
    https://prnt.sc/wnszqs

Which would be the one to check and read through? Also will it be in sort of format where it will actually make sense? I can figure out where its meant to take place and such but would it even be in chronological order, would it have form of a conversation or would it just be all over the place?

Thanks.
  • memorymemory Member Posts: 83
    mademan2 wrote: »
    here is a screen of the folders in the Kelsey mod
    In this case it's going to be "tra" folder. As @Isewein said You can open .tra files with any text editor.
    mademan2 wrote: »
    Also will it be in sort of format where it will actually make sense? I can figure out where its meant to take place and such but would it even be in chronological order, would it have form of a conversation or would it just be all over the place?
    Most of the time .tra files belongs to specific NPC. Strings inside them are about chronological order, but not necessarily. Files from "d" folder will help You find what is the strings order.