Skip to content

how to open the toolset twice on one PC

FlyByNight187FlyByNight187 Member Posts: 16
edited January 2021 in Builders - Toolset
so im working on a mod, that is set a century or so in the future of an old mod of mine,...and now everything is in ruins and decay..... i need to have the original mod open in one instance of toolset, with another open on my other screen for comparisons as i work retooling the mod from original to ruins..
i have bought a 2nd cd key and install, ive tried using the -userdirectory parameters of the second install for its documents folder/file on shortcuts of the main and toolset exe's, game play loads fine, but toolset has fatal error on launch.
i have also tried just adding a shortcut to the first install to open its toolset.exe twice, doesnt work.
im kinda lost at this point, anyone have some experience with this?

Comments

• ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    The closet I have is another computer. I have Windows pro so I can connect remotely to the other computer. I even have two monitors, so I could have one showing one toolset and the other showing the other.

Because two computers is unrealistic for many people, the second best I can think of is exporting all the areas from the old module and importing them into the new one. That actually might have unforeseen benefits.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    What I did for the latter was copy module 1 to module 1a, delete unwanted objects, then export selected objects to module2. Otherwise, cleaning up module 2 is a chore.

I have multiple versions of the toolset on one PC, which all work, but I never found a way to open more than one at a time. Is VM still a thing? Never tried it.
    I didn't suggest VM because I have never used one that could dish out enough 3D rendering to open something like the toolset.
  • FlyByNight187FlyByNight187 Member Posts: 16
    ForSerious wrote: »
    The closet I have is another computer. I have Windows pro so I can connect remotely to the other computer. I even have two monitors, so I could have one showing one toolset and the other showing the other.

i was thinking of this,...but it just feels so convoluted and clunky,....
    its weird,..i can run multiple instances of the main exe, in several different ways,...but not the toolset, and im on a solid newer machine
  • FlyByNight187FlyByNight187 Member Posts: 16
    Proleric wrote: »
    Is VM still a thing? Never tried it.
    well,...might have to try and see if VirtualBox will handle the load,... im on a 16core 'ripper with 64gig ram,...Soooo.... *crosses fingers*
    …if VirtualBox will handle the load
    Might feel just as cluncky as remote desktop. Totally more realistic though.
    I have mainly used VMWare and it was set to block copy pasting between machines. At least windows remote desktop allows for text to be copy pasted. I hope VirtualBox doesn't have that same restriction.