Skip to content

General Questions About Crossbows and Class Kits

It has been awhile since I've played Baldur's Gate, and am more used to the 3rd Edition rules used in Neverwinter Nights, D&D Online, etc.

My first question is how do attacks per round work? If I recall correctly, there could be an additional half attack per round listed in the character sheet. So what does it mean when a character has an attack of one-and-a-half? Is that three attacks every two rounds, or is the extra half a placeholder until it becomes two attacks per round? Or does it mean something else entirely?

Second, how do the number of attacks per round work with a crossbow? Is there only ever one attack per round with a crossbow regardless of the characters abilities (except for the Crossbow of Speed, of course)?

Finally, for the Undead Hunter Kit, does the +3 to hit and damage apply to ranged weapons? Also, do the bonuses that the Ranger's Archer Kit get apply to crossbows, or only bows?

I ask this question because I was wanting to create an Undead Hunter with the crossbow as his primary weapon, and am wondering if it is viable with attacks per round and the innate abilities.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Crossbows work the same way as normal weapons in BG1/2 .
    In Icewind Dale 2, however, they can only be fired once per round.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    That's good to know. With all of the different rules I get them mixed up sometimes. Not to mention that it seems that crossbow mechanics always get ruined, no matter what game system it is.

So, how does that work with attacks per round? How do the half attacks play out?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    From my experience i can say that 3/2 atks per round are exactly 3 attacks at each 2 rounds.
    Thanks for the answer.

So my final questions are:

1. Does the Ranger's Archer Kit bonuses apply to crossbows?

2. Does the Paladin's Undead Hunter Kit bonuses to attack and damage against undead apply to ranged weapons in general?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Philhelm, they apply to any ranged weapon, slings and darts included, i believe they apply to throwing knifes/axes also but i have to check this. Besides the last 2 i quoted, every 100% ranged weapon is 100% guaranted to work with the archer bonus.

Undead Hunter was my 1° playthrough in Baldur's Gate, that happened a LONG time ago, i never repeated that kit after that, but if memory serves me well, they apply yes, if they don't it's a bug that need a fix in BG EE.
    kamuizin said:

@Philhelm, they apply to any ranged weapon, slings and darts included, i believe they apply to throwing knifes/axes also but i have to check this. Besides the last 2 i quoted, every 100% ranged weapon is 100% guaranted to work with the archer bonus.

Not sure if I believe you. Crossbow mechanics are always broken, no matter which game system. Dragon Age, the Rapid Reload fiasco with Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, etc.

Seriously though, thanks for the response. I thought it did apply, but I wasn't certain, and wouldn't want to build a character only to find out I've cheated myself.

• LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I can't be sure if it was a mod because in my later playthroughs I always had a couple of mods installed but I've had the Undead Hunter bonus apply to crossbows and I've had the Archer bonus apply to crossbows. And yes the 3/2 attacks per round applies to any weapon where you at least have the 2 ranks required.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    i believe they apply to throwing knifes/axes also but i have to check this.
    I'd have to double check too, but my suspicion is that the bonus doesn't apply because those weapons have melee based proficiencies (dagger and axe, respectively).
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    BTW am not sure if its relevant, but as we're on the subject of crossbows, for an elf Archer, the elf extra +1 bow bonus only applies to short and long bows (including composite) not crossbows