Skip to content

The journey to hitting the XP Cap in BG1 EE with no mods and grinding.... Before starting chapter 2

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
So one day just for the Lulz, I thought to myself; Is it possible to hit the XP cap of 161 000 XP with 6 characters before starting chapter 2? Well over the coarse of the next almost 200 screen shots coming up, we will see...

But First some rules;

#1 Cannot start chapter 2 ( duh ) Which means no entering the following areas; Nashkiel, Carnival or Nashkiel Mines, those areas are off limits ( as are other areas that you cannot access because of higher chapters as well, duh )

#2 Must complete the game with 6 party members that all hit the 161 000 XP mark

#3 No intentional grinding or farming XP and some caveat rules to this;
- Can only rest in "wild" areas if you are damaged, need healing or out of spells ( cannot rest just for the sake of grinding or "hoping" to get waken up )
- If attempting to rest and party is waken up, then you are allowed to kill said baddies if desired ( although ironically 9/10 i reloaded when i was waken up, okay, maybe more like 4/5 in some cases, but close enough haha )
- Cannot intentionally travel in between areas for the sole purpose of being way laid by enemies and cannot reload intentionally to get way laid by better enemies ( Only allowed to reload if someone dies )
- Once an area is complete you are no longer allowed to go back, unless you forgot something by mistake ( no intentionally attempting to get random encounters on a completed map for a second time )
- You are allowed to explore and take as much time as needed to complete an area as long as it doesn't break any of the above rules
- If you are waylaid by enemies and dont feel like fighting the battle and reload so you dont have to, then you cannot fight a better battle if going the same way ( so for example if you are travelling from beregost to gnoll fortress and are way laid by Xzarts and reload, and still want to go to fortress, then you must keep reloading until you get there without being waylaid or until the "original" xzart party appears again )

#4 you can reload as much as needed for convenience sake ( party members dying, and such ) as long as its not to get a better XP result in terms of grinding/farming/ random encounters

#5 no mods allowed that add extra XP for any reason or allow you to access areas that cannot be accessed in chapter 1

so with that, let's see where i got...

Edit: man i need to learn how to spell check...
Post edited by sarevok57 on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    First, starting off, this is what i chose to as my candidate for this mission;
    4arw9qn3y2nq.png

so, after finishing up in Candlekeep it was time to go out into the big bad world, XP when candlekeep finished;
    f6jax85v0alo.png

after leaving candlekeep and entering the first area, there wasn't much to do except run away from imoen as fast as possible and make sure i get high hedge and the area between beregost and friendly arm in, ready to travel to
    vypmbfeq80g5.png
    mpa9pxpo2yub.png

on the way to the area where you first meet elminster i was way laid by baddies;
    wowzers, those x4 wild dogs were rough, but i made it by
    a328w5qmhp53.png

then i finally arrived in the elminster area, got a ring, got some belts and finished off that area
    m15djj3k0ix4.png
    caa51zfhsuah.png
    m61xssvuy0ra.png

next, i went to beregost, grabbed a scroll case, talked to marl and settled him down, and then sold off some goodies by the looks of it, and now its my first level up and then off to high hedge it looks like
    xob8fm6qu7hd.png
    o1pq4qb4qab5.png

i reach high hedge and i see this and i say to myself, hmm wonder if i can take it on?
    vuflru3zdh9s.png
    apparently the answer is nope, not quite strong enough at level 2 to bring this beast down, oh well, reload time
    q1m75nkofds5.png

so after i reach high hedge it looks like im just there to grab a potion case and open up some more areas on the over world map;
    uz8i5r3bbyjb.png
    xu3uu6ugja8p.png

so i continue on my way, and go the to area south of beregost ( nothing to show, i just went straight to the right and then down, no encounters ) but on the way to the area north of nashkiel i get this surprise;
    obviously gibberlings ain't got nothing on me
    0cibstxegrut.png
    hjee720mecte.png

then i reach the area north of nashkiel and head west to start my "drizzt" encounter
    fupusz92xba1.png
    wu8uhygzik0t.png

on the way to opening the area for drizzt it looks like at the same time i was opening the way for my future party members as well, so next was the area where bassilus is and on my way this happened;
    that enrage sure comes in handy when you are low levels
    00afrw35niso.png
    6l9qort5cioj.png

then i land in the area where bassilus is, but its only strictly to open up more areas for some easy future fast travelling, but in the meantime, my dude's XP progress;
    ngauww0ewdim.png
    0j38y1vwgcz0.png

and this concludes part 1 of 9 or 10 ( mostly for the sake of not having to upload a bajillion pictures in one post )

part 2 coming up...
    Part 2

next i was on the way to the temple area east of beregost when this happened;
    too easy
    1lzoxu98zz5u.png
    bx3bdafigulu.png

and then when that was over, i headed to temple, looks like this was mostly just to open up more areas to the east
    oxee8csj6t6b.png
    2cctaqqktbbe.png

now that i had enough areas opened up, all my quick fast time travels were ready to go for when it was time to grab some team mates
    the team mates that i would be grabbin; shar-teel, kagain, viconia, safana, baeloth
    cyi98qotej3e.png

next on the agenda was the drizzt "encounter", this is the first part of the set up;
    z0ds7j33do3w.png
    ddc7zn5ixtpv.png
    shzwbe0bs1c2.png

so for the next part of the drizzt encounter i was going to need some team mates so i took a stroll over to the friendly arm inn and this happened;
    ah, been playing this game for 20+ years, and i wasn't even level 1 and the holmes took me down haha
    glqcc9nb2bf7.png

so, uh... With that out of the way, this were continuing on as normal;
    1gyqmfnbrdhf.png
    u3v6gzxrhmf5.png
    yz1lzr8b6q2d.png

and then i grabbed some more team mates for a show down with the almighty drizzt;
    lgjhjzs51r2m.png

then, here were the results of that encounter
    easy as pie, good times
    dsqhty4zjtji.png
    p6b81tmimo0x.png

so with the drizzt area complete, it was time to head for the lighthouse area...

first up were some sirines;
    just like in pokemon stadium when your pokemans is 50 levels higher the announcer says; it didn't stand a chance! yup, you would be right
    6439zg0pjxwm.png
    0l81nly94x3p.png
    09fbfvl34kvd.png
    5o5moz4axc2h.png

i love how, that when i go to leave the map, on the way this little bugger comes up
    ha, seriously, what did he hope to accomplish?
    7vi0g4r918qr.png
    lioxacnqes0w.png

anyhow, cleaned up that area a little bit, grabbed some XP and some REP and it was off to grab some more;
    meec2xvbegoo.png
    7r7ejr2jyo7m.png

and that concludes part 2

part 3 coming up...
    Part 3

so on my way, to grabbing more XP and some REP, i grab a chicken, get waylaid by some gibberlings, and make it to high hedge;
    skhtsb8v10vj.png
    vbidzihb805p.png
    ribbsprq8b96.png
    t90sn1e4hatt.png
    7p5rplkkrdkl.png

once at high hedge i finally make it to the wizard with the following result;
    5x7ir7m1sijq.png

not a feast hall dinner tonight, i direly need that XP and REP
    ih93rr6zl4s8.png

so after that encounter, it was time to venture off and just gain a little bit more XP to hit the mark i was going for...
    q4tzlkw7yoy8.png
    k95ghufphn2w.png

now with the situation i was in, i was thinking what would be the perfect place to put me right where i need to be, and luckily, i thought of this area;
    cfr658kdiij1.png
    q9tidtoxrm39.png
    6ytqqvmpj57z.png

excellent, almost couldn't have gone better ( if it wasn't for that 1 louzy kobold ) anyway, it was team mate picking up time, and here comes team mate number1
    wxxsefzvwhz8.png

and here comes team mate number 2, with a little bonus encounter before hand
    well to be blunt, it is kind of true you know
    5z63w4061ig1.png
    30dys6722oof.png

and then comes team mate number 3
    imeb5x3tchem.png

and then comes team mate number 4
    idnf3s95mijr.png

and then that concludes part 3

part 4 coming up...
    Part 4

after picking up Safana, you need to do a little quest for, and since team mate number 5 comes in with more XP, i didn't mind not sharing with him
    av14zffymv1d.png

after that was dealt with, it was time for the final team mate, team mate number 5
    1gy5bwmoj0mb.png
    3hg72ugjm3g5.png
    cwzov1ub2et9.png

now that our team was assembled it was time for us to seek our goal
    bcm8o6nk78a7.png

now it was time to explore every possible area and do every possible thing starting with, the area where gorion gets pasted
    not much here for XP or such
    2jekqhwr6092.png
    fpkphpdrlat9.png

and then the area where you meet elminster for the first time;
    xfsj3pcw3xor.png
    ndsra7765gi7.png

then finishing off the friendly arm inn
    ferx545landd.png
    1pww8bh4pqty.png

then finishing off high hedge
    m134mgtjdo8y.png
    jqzt22lm5h1f.png

then finishing the area south of beregost
    0di1y07nfm2t.png
    8ad2x0x1t2nc.png

then finishing off beregost itself
    9kz2lanh8kdf.png
    0ewwm0ex6474.png

and then finishing off the area north of nashkiel
    rw6gs5mhyztm.png
    m3fp3w5mrmut.png

and that concludes part 4

part 5 coming up...
    Part 5

continuing on our map clearing, XP gathering adventure we next head to the temple area east of beregost;
    vzu8mr0g8o49.png
    5wj4y8ybpj28.png

then the area where you meet drizzt
    gbo1o3evx8qf.png
    haiavdq0jph2.png

then the area where you fight all the basilisks
    hdo5d1puagdn.png
    1ozhqsf0s9y3.png

then the area where you have the shoal the neired encounter ( or however it's spelled )
    m7lo9wmf7pvs.png
    9ja6lqywgmnd.png

then back to the lighthouse area
    i was actually lucky in this area, because there was almost no XP left, but when i went to rest, x2 sirines woke my party up, and as soon as i killed the second sirine, shar-teel got charmed so i had her chase kagain around a rock in circles until the charm ended, good stuff
    8muwt8ty8bgu.png
    302pdb9hak7y.png

then went to go finish off the bassilus area
    5a6ba4d3x9ih.png
    lj0gw81r9o7q.png

then off to the xvart village, lulz
    XP is XP i guess
    hd7mbcxxbusu.png
    1l4fg0ciltjl.png

then off to the cloud peaks where you get that fancy +2 halberd ( thanks to the EEs )
    yemo4n5oa0pl.png
    uc0rxlesoyha.png

and then off to the gnoll fortress for some much needed goodies
    2h9r7b77azx9.png
    uxrtlrj65lzp.png

and then finishing off the other south area west of nashkiel
    ifvlad978vnr.png
    dsfo6td68e39.png

and after that area i finally had 10 REP again, and thanks to the tome of CHA i gave it to safana so with the nymph cloak she would have a whopping 20 CHA for buying items, so after we finished the area south west of Nashkiel the party went to go buy some goodies and then off we went again, in part 6

part 6 coming later today...
    alrighty, part 6

so the next area is the area north of the gnoll fortress and i happen to stumble upon this on my way there;
    y8gpctximvld.png
    ww1amdabwxge.png

after that, i hit up the area north of the gnoll fortress
    yewwuos0ubql.png
    372akudxhr6t.png

then i head up to the area where you meet Brage
    unfortunately i will never be going to nashkiel, so i had to take Brage out, left his body in a barrel in beregost with my winter wolf pelts and bandit scalps haha
    6hgbk36jjcvx.png
    lhkck8ijumdo.png

at this point, i figured it was time to power game to the extreme and get an additional 11 000 XP with no REP loss;
    waqnjna5v70v.png
    cxvl3b2uc6rc.png
    r2eunpt1c5yc.png

and then after that, i cleared out the area that has the "farting" bandit i suppose? ( aka the area where you find the two handed sword +1 )
    3xf8urztaagw.png
    a4uoe41qur77.png

and since shar-teel is on the team, i want to dual class here when she hits the 64 000 XP mark...
    couldn't have landed it better haha
    z0kfcqdz0ru8.png

and then i cleared out the ulcaster ruins area
    lh057wq3meyc.png
    q24gtajyzesl.png
    0qmo3cv5cf6m.png

and then next i travel to the firewine ruins and run into this;
    i wonder how this will turn out?
    35woj4hwt926.png
    ah, just the way i wanted it to go
    9am4506r2x9a.png

after that, i finished off the firewine ruins
    50k2mfmg5scv.png
    b9xf5ll8cbkh.png

and then after that, i finished off the area the you end up in after exiting the nashkiel mines
    lucked out hard in this area, got to fight x6 ankhegs, absolutely gorgeous, oh and PS: hasted ogres completely wipe the floor of that evil female ambush group
    vsypytj4frfu.png
    xefipex6h6sc.png

and that completes part 6

part 7 coming up...
    Part 7

so next i plan to go to the most south east corner of the world and run into this;
    and here i thought you could only access this if going to nashkiel mines, apparently not
    q7cumxsghv4r.png

after that, i finish off the south east map
    luckily i was able to fight x6 winter wolves here, ca-ching!
    w6g98rkb9ca3.png
    859hhk4n2avz.png

after bringing buddy back to the friendly arm inn temple and grabbing an amulet of spell warding, it was time to finish off gullykin
    w7rg68x16idm.png
    zttxye0q5qsp.png
    j37g8u423a98.png

after that, it was time to head up north to Larswood
    zudwdve79v8z.png
    9d6td62i971x.png

and then naturally peldvale was next
    jc30qqwlyw4p.png
    8os0898rhy07.png

and then the area where you meet up with that great of red wizards/ spiders/ ettercaps
    968o3hlacbbd.png
    tbz0cko1wep9.png

after that was all said and done, it was time for the ankheg area, oh, bring on the XP
    w9d1f068eg4x.png
    4g2dhquscvwl.png
    0270c0g5f8nx.png
    phocnzem1hfb.png

then next was the bridge area going into BG the city
    pna7ijoy5qki.png
    o1ijs0kv8bcv.png

and then finally, the little bonus area that is north of the bridge area
    g783gkq9z2vb.png
    2htfje8wobc2.png

and so at this point i have completed absolutely all of the original non expansion content there was to complete ( heck, almost hit the original BG XP cap of 89 000 before chapter 2 ) Which means now, the only content left is strictly TotSC stuff, so hopefully there is enough XP to go around to hit the 161 000 XP cap

So off to the TotSC in Part 8...
    Part 8

on our way to unload some ankheg shells i come upon this;
    i wonder how this will turn out?
    1jyhzp276osi.png
    ah, time to add more bandit scalps to the "barrel of scalps and pelts plus one body"

so after cleaning that up, it was time to go to ulgoth's beard do some things there;
    qx6b3ecd8s65.png
    oz462kh9zi74.png
    wqfzsdezebvx.png
    9fzfdaljcse6.png

and then next off, was our trip to durlag's tower, so i bought some ammunition and along we went;
    desperately needed that XP
    ym1sxkrmjhhu.png
    dd3xevof8y9k.png
    eabinm71jb9t.png

after finishing everything there was to do outside and the upper levels, it was time to go into the basement
    ql3cedc4ql2w.png
    4nndu0kr2gnj.png

finished off basement level 1
    33m7x66vac0h.png
    zd496f5pk1h0.png

then finished off basement level 2
    i got super lucky here and one time i had to rest and i was waken up by a greater doppleganger 4 or 5 times in a row, that was a nice healthy chunk of XP for sure
    qzi18gqlrrgg.png
    bkbdignyg33t.png

then finished off basement level 3
    vb2dnu8xmyrp.png
    zb08csxo9j6l.png

then it was time for a good ol' game of chess
    0auy4vdv2xad.png
    zt53zd47lis9.png
    za7nnvm338cr.png

and finished off basement level 4 and getting ready for the final encounter
    zol0mofxlean.png
    i61mbp4uhmzd.png

and then the final encounter;
    who would have thought that this battle was much more doable when using a copious amount of potions
    pm4vpmfrtnn8.png
    xqkvt95xwcnd.png

and that completes part 8, oh boy, we're getting close, but there is not much left now, all there is to do is clean up what's left in ulgoth's beard, will i make it? find out in the conclusion of part 9

part 9 coming up...
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited March 2021
    Couldn't you also include werewolf island, or does that trigger a chapter?
    Couldn't you also include werewolf island, or does that trigger a chapter?

It would
    You will have to get the sea charts in Baldurs Gate - which is post chapter 4

Btw. Well done Sarevok57 - a hypothesis proven correct.

thanks, and it was definitely a close call to, a few less higher level baddies and i might not have made it
  • GurkengeleeGurkengelee Member Posts: 56
    Wow. Didn't think that to be possible. Good job!