Skip to content

Alignment effects?

I'm still agonising over a party and I'm wondering what happens if I take Korgan and change his alignment to CN in EEkeeper. Will that make him ignore reputation - but presumably still conflict with party members?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    If you change him to CN, it will mean he won't leave at high reputation (but will at low) and you'll get slightly different comments from him on how happy it is. No intra-party conflicts will be affected, not that Korgan has many of those. He got along just fine with three lawful good party members (Keldorn, Mazzy, and Rasaad) in a recent run of mine, after all.

On the other hand ... it will cause serious trouble in ToB. If you dismiss Korgan from the party, he won't talk to you unless his alignment is CE or CG. Anything else, and he'll just stand there ignoring you instead of asking if you want him back or not. Dismiss CN Korgan in ToB, and you can't ever get him back.

Then again, in ToB he doesn't leave at high reputation. So if you set his alignment back to the usual CE then, he's fine.
  • VelociraptorVelociraptor Member Posts: 12
    Thanks - I still can't decide what to do.

Right now I'm trying to work out what I want to have in a party and then get the NPCs that are closest and change them to it in EE keeper.

I'm not looking for a powergaming party though, just a balanced and basic one rather than complicated multiclasses etc.

Not easy :)
  • LelandGauntLelandGaunt Member Posts: 83
    Weeell, just fooling around a little with a kind of crazy idea here, but if you already changed evil Korgan to neutral, why not go a step further, take all the other evil characters and change their alignment too? That might potentially offer you at least most of the things you seem to be looking for:
    - "ignore reputation" - Check. If you turn them all to neutral (or even good, though that might be a bit too weird) the only thing you'd have to worry about is super-low reputation. But seeing you un-evil-izing poor old Korgan here I kind of get the impression you're not necessarily out for some psycho murder rampage all over the place ;) ? So probably no problem...
    - "conflicts" (just assuming you'd rather avoid those?) - Check. No real issue here, the evil guys all get along with each other just fine.
    - "no complicated multiclasses" - Check. All of the evil companions are pretty straightforward singleclass characters and none of them are really complicated to play (only Hexxat might need a little bit of cloak-swapping maintenance here and there).
    - "balanced and basic" - Check and Check. This team covers all your bases: both Korgan and Dorn are your typical fighter types (Korgan rather on the sturdy-tanky side, Dorn a little more on the squishy-aggressivy side), Viconia as the cleric can do all the heavy buff-support-and-heal-lifting business, Hexxat has all the thief utility you'll ever need, and Edwin... well, Edwin IS just magic. Period. And seeing how this team can fulfil all your basic adventuring needs, you're completely free in picking whichever kind of class your happy little heart might desire for charname.
    - in the end there's of course at least one big BUT: this party composition might easily be considered "powergaming", they are all pretty pretty pretty damn strong (well, apart from maybe Hexxat if you're anything like me and forget taking her stupid cloak off half of the time :smiley: ). So if you're looking for a real challenge I'd rather look elsewhere, but if the rest of the above stuff sounds like you might like it you could take a look at it...
    edited March 2021
    Well.. where I am at the moment is

Nalia (or maybe Jan converted to Illusionist, or Neera as a sorc)
    Jaheira - converted to druid
    Minsc - converted to paladin (I could use Keldorn but I've never taken Minsc before)
    Anomen - Edit : Now it's Aerie converted to cleric.
    Imoen/Yoshimu

I know Minsc as a paladin is a bit of a stretch but I've never felt he was a ranger either.

I have done an evil run before, although not with Korgan, so I'm trying something different.

Last good run I did I took Keldorn, Amonen, Nalia, Mazzy, Yoshimu/Imoen. So I'm hoping to get different NPCs, but cover basic classes only.

The evil converted idea isn't such a bad idea, but it's not really much different to just avoiding going to 19 rep.

I have never taken Hexxat before, but to be honest I find the EE NPCs a bit much.

I'll also adjust stats, but not increase the total (except for Minsc probably because of how bad his are, no matter what I do he's not going to be better than Keldorn, so I'm really just making him into Keldorn) reasoning that if they were single class not dual/multi the stats would be different.

The good thing is I don't need to use mods to do this. I can just start a game and when I add a character go to EE keeper and adjust them to level 1, remove whatever they shouldn't have and then give them experience and level them up in game again.
  • LelandGauntLelandGaunt Member Posts: 83
    Now that looks like a really solid team right there, if maybe a bit heavy on spellcasters and a bit light on regular melee force, any plans/ideas for charname yet?
    If you're gonna tinker with stats and want Jaheira as a pure druid, I'd maybe get rid of some of her frontliner prowess and up her lowish WIS for more spells.
    Haha, Minsc as a paladin sounds really funny, the perfect parody of a paladin: not much lawful about him, but he sure is stupid ;)
    If you want to try out new NPCs, I haven't read the names Valygar or Haer'Dalis anywhere, so if you never tried them, might be worth a shot? Maybe for Nalia, Yoshimo/Imoen or Jaheira, depending on charname's class...
    Yeah I kind of agree with you on the EE NPCs: the Dorn stuff at least was really way over the top. Hexxat not necessarily, but also not quite original-level great, just... not sure how to describe it... stale, maybe? Though I found Rasaad's content really decent and interesting so far (but admittedly haven't seen too much of it yet, maybe the first half of SoA).
    My own would be a dwarven defender using hammers to finish off the melee side of things. And yes that's what I'd do with Jaheira, if she wasn't a fighter/druid and simply a druid she'd have more wisdom and less dex/str/con.

Haer'Dalis I've had before. I did consider what he could be in the team but didn't see a fit. Valygar could fit in somewhere too but I think I've settled on it. I have now run out of time so this won't be for a while. And by then I'm sure I'll have changed my mind again!