Skip to content

Crazy idea to revive the multiplayer/PW's community

ValeriyaValeriya Member Posts: 55
edited January 2021 in General Discussions NWN:EE
So the NWN Persistent World multiplayer playerbase is pretty diluted, there's not enough new blood coming in, what about making a free PC version that only lets you play in certain approved PW's? I think this could help bring about a renaissance to the NWN online community.

Also, check my "how to role-play in NWN" video that encourages DnD/fantasy folks to get NWN just for the multiplayer roleplay aspect:
https://youtu.be/KOt2VsBGQEU

Comments

• WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    Sounds like a disaster in waiting. Which PWs get approved? Who vets them? Based on what? The hate BD got over playing favourites with Arelith and Ravenloft:POTM on consoles...

The reality is that this 19 year old game is 19 years old. It will never see the player numbers it once did - work with the ones it does get, or encourage people that it's worth $5. Free (while it's still getting development, at the least) isn't the way to go about it.
    Arvia
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I think PWs would've had a fair chance if the game's patches were released across all platforms at the same time instead of deserting players from getting on, let alone the limited access to PWs on console. I was considering trying a PW when this kept happening. That and I've given up on the game since no good official content has come along since Tyrants of the Moonsea.

I think you'd have more luck if every time the game was on sale you'd communicate to your players that it's a good chance to buy their buddies a copy and have them join them. I don't think there's a chance this game will have a free to play option, especially since there would be no point in buying if you liked the free server you're already on.
  • ValeriyaValeriya Member Posts: 55
    I accept your arguments, was still worth of a shot... *pines for a NWN3*
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Valeriya wrote: »
    I accept your arguments, was still worth of a shot... *pines for a NWN3*

Now that would be awesome. It's too bad Sword Coast Legends wasn't really what they were touting. Maybe now that WotC seems to be allowing games to be made again something like NWN can happen again. Then again, I worry that NWN:EE and SCL may have killed that chance.
  • ArchprogrammerArchprogrammer Member Posts: 3
    One thing that could help would be to have better vetting of terrain hakpacks.

I have had numerous experiences with modules crashing due to terrain models with too long names (>31 characters) and it's a bit of a bother to fix them manually.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I think the NWN:EE community peaked during the first lockdowns. Unfortunately the current persistent worlds were not able to retain interest nor drive the kind of engagement to grow the player base. Otherwise the nightly peaks would be at a couple of thousand players by now.

NWN3 could be good but there is plenty of room for mistakes or putting a focus on the wrong stuff. Since the core rules are OGL the community could make something like NWN3 with all the modern tools that didn't exist 20 years ago. On the other hand the community was not able to release a lot of really modernized content for NWN let alone NWN3. Other companies like Larian and Owlcat have their hands full with their own projects and Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft which probably complicates things. So it doesn't seem all that likely as far as I can tell.

I liked the video series though, I even showed some other people a few months ago.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    There is maybe an idea here, but it isn't giving away free games or some freemium model.

Why doesn't Beamdog do some community engagement and have a weekly or monthly PW spotlight, where they can livestream and have the community join in and play on/explore a new PW together every week/month/interval.

I would wholly support this idea, of course there are concerns about the community and how they would handle this maturely.
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2021
    We have had a couple of lockdowns ,when peoples basically stayed at home with a lots of free time,and the multiplayers scene were still ridicolous as numbers , how we can increase those numbers now that the situation is slowly returning to normal ?
    In practice we had the best possible conditions (a game in development+various lockdowns) to see the return of many old's and new players ,but it didn't happen.
    And what is worst is that many new players have quit in a blink of an eye.

At this point i can't imagine what can revive it. :(

Post edited by RifleLeroy on
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    If a NWN3 ever happens, I would hope for a few things:

1) The toolset is closer to NWN1's than NWN2's. While NWN2's toolset was more advanced... it left a lot to be desired in ease of use compared to NWN1's. NWN1's toolset was so user friendly and easy to jump into compared to NWN2's. Having the option to use outdoor tileset or to sculpt the terrain yourself would be nice. Even better (imo), would be if you could sculpt/modify a tileset within the editor itself. So a base tileset would let people jump right in and build something, but more advanced users could customize them.

2) Z-axis. I want to be able to jump, walk under a bridge... and then over that same bridge.

3) As updated graphics as possible while still allowing for lower end machines to play at a comfortable level and quality.

4) Everything is mod-able. No hardocoding this or that element of classes/races/spells/rulesets/etc

5) Better "wizards" in the toolset to help newbies make stuff. If Lilac Soul can make such an awesome and easy to use by laymen script generator, then I think a professional company can do the same or better and have it part of the toolset.
    Zaxares
  • ArchMage_SplatArchMage_Splat Member Posts: 12
    :/

This is all we talked about for years as i watched my fav online servers die player base wise or just go offline as the years went by, i only see NWN3 as being the one if its done right that can pull in the hardcore players and mass player base.

All that's left now is the hardcore players in NWN EE it seems.

The rest of the player base and world has moved on sadly and its not small touch ups that will change anything if online player base is what were after and i know it is for me, if only i had a magic wand to make it happen and a big bag of cash to pay for a NWN3 out of pocket.

Seems as well most of the RPG MMO out their are all the same "WoW clones" and their not for the hardcore players that we are, in fact i find most of the mmos hostile to anyone that is and is just made for the masses and to make cash, so not my stile.

After playing video games and D&D for longer then i care to admit mass market McDonald video game eye candy MMO Rpg do nothing for me.

Most of em the core rules are inhuman to understand that is if they even post em online.

NWN is dark age that's the realty of it, "NWN EE" real system requirements are a video card with not 16 gigs ram but 16 megs..... Sorry 3Dfx voodoo3 video cards only half work, OpenGL problem and only supported 16 colors.

Nvidia TNT2 Ultra ! 32 meg SDR AGP 1x FTW video card and good to go @ 800x640 res in 32 colors !
    Win98se supported.

Intel Pentium 3 with MMx 500mgz or better 128megs system ram recommended *laffs*

Max players on 56k dile-up modem is about 12 if not = lag, i should know.
    When i started nwn online it was with out high speed internet,the game is that old.

Sadly theirs nothing better out their last i checked when it comes to MP + D&D + pvp.

Most are just wana be world of Warcraft MMo's with a face over.

ill pass on that.

Just try and find anything RPG + PVP = good luck with that, theirs like nothing and yes i know about LoL and Dota, problem is their not sandbox worlds and don't support 100 players per server just for starters with my dislike of the games in question, imho the nwn arena servers i played on were better.

LoL 5 vs 5 max how meny maps do they have 3 total
    War for middle earth Arena "nwn" 12 vs 12, 16 maps.... need i say more yet why douse LoL have player base, yaaaaaaa.....

The big question of the day ............ -_-

We need a NwN3 and sadly NWN2 was a bomb and sucks hard for MP, not for nothing they made a NWN EE not a NWN2 EE .........