Skip to content

Custom Class/Kit

UngadisUngadis Member Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in General Modding
Hi Guys,
While playing my Ranger/Archer I had a feeling like something is missing. I spend some hours to find if are there any tool sets for adding my own subclass. And this is my question: Is there any easy to use tool set to create custom class/subclass? I though I would love to play a ranger subclass called: huntsman or scout and give to him some new tricky spells like summon wolf, bear, or eagle to scout area. Then allow him to maximize bows (long,short) and axes in cost of only leather armour usage and when only bows,slings,axes, flails, short blades and daggers can be equipped; and no other spells are available - only the new summoning ones. Give to him nice stealthy bonuses and that's it. Is this possible that my dream will come true ??
xD
Thanks guys, sorry for my poor English; this is not my mother-tongue.

Post edited by Ungadis on

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    edited February 2014
    Kit (subclass) mods are entirely doable using WeiDu (a program that patches and mods the in-game files).

"Ease of use" is relative; you are not slogging through the game code, editing bits and hoping it works. On the other hand, its not exactly the most user-friendly "programming language" either (and there is no GUI version... yet).

Making the base kit (ranger subclass with the aforementioned weapon and armor proficiencies, no spells except summons and some stealth bonuses) is easy. Custom spells are a bit more of a hassle... but still doable.

If you want, I could make a quick mod that makes this kit.
  • UngadisUngadis Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2014
    Hi Aquadrizzt,
    Thank you for your reply:) I can be very happy if you could find a little time to create such a kit or perhaps write a new topic for step by step guide on how to create custom kits, that other players will be able to try their ideas. I am not a modder myself, I don't want to mess with something in game by making this kit on my own.

OK, Basically this is what I would like to achieve:
    (Please, forgive me my English, I know it is really bad ;/)

Ranger
    Huntsman

Advantages:
    - may achieve grandmastery (5 points) in all weapon types available for this kit, which are: long/short bow, axe, sling, dagger, short blade, club, quarterstaff and spear
    -starts with 2 proficiency points in long/short bow, axe, short blade,dagger and two weapons style (may put 3 slot into two weapons specialization)
    -may use Find Familiar ability to summon a companion: wolf or bear to help him in battle, or an eagle to scout area
    this is available: eagle- on lvl 1, wolf - lvl 2, bear - lvl 4, on lvl 6 he gets dire wolf and on lvl 8 dire bear
    - 30% bonus to move silently and Hide in shadows
    - +1 to hit and damage rolls with any missile weapon every 3 levels
    -may use called shot ability

Disadvantages:
    -May not wear any metal armor
    -may not wear any helmet
    -Have no access to other ranger spells
    - May equip only bow, axe, dagger, short sword, sling, club, quarterstaff and spear
    -Wisdom and Charisma must be at least 16 in order to perform Find Familiar ability

Min. starting stats:
    Strength 13
    Dexterity 13
    Constitution 14
    Intelligence 3
    Wisdom 16
    Charisma 16

Ok, so this is it. I know that kit description requires additional work and rewriting because of my poor English. Hope that things I wrote are easy to understand for you. I did my best :D

Once again thank you for your response, I own you a beer :D
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    With those mins stats you'll naturally roll everything over 85! Try making them lower, this is not like P&P so the game gives you the required number for the stats, so you'll get aswomely high rolls, personally I think this kit is completely over powered but I like the idea. Find Familiar only gives the familiars on the table unless you mod them (very easy now in the latest patch).

On a sidenote: I don't know what was changed in 1.2 but modding a kit is much more complicated.
    Adding classes is IMMENSELY DIFFICULT, I've tried this lots of time but I couldn't succeed at it, kits are easy to add.

EDIT: maybe you can edit an existing kit? That's easier if you don't mind replacing it.
    edited February 2014
    Hi CrevsDaak,
    Thank you very much for your replay :) What actually I am trying to achieve for now, is to add a kit only. If I do this by adding a new one, or editing existing - the result still will be the same for me. In example there is a kit in game for Ranger called Stalker, which is in my opinion too weak to be enjoyable , so I can easy replace this kit. Adding a new one maybe looks a bit better, because you don't touch original content of the game.
    What you suggested is that stats should get some lower numbers. In compare to other kits and classes indeed mine are a bit stronger. Never then less it was always easy for me to get roll 90+ on each class/kit rolling no longer then 3 mins. In example my archer now has a roll of total 97 (my highest roll I ever made :D, and surprisingly appeared with 2nd roll ). Last time I played BG:EE couple months ago as a Druid and I had a roll of total 96 on him. But! In compare to other Ranger's Kits, the kit which I am suggesting may seems overpowered. I don't want to find my kit to be game breaking, but indeed I want my character to be strong. I thought that a character can't be overpowered if I give to him an ability to get grandmastery and summon companions, some bow proficient and stealth bonuses, because this is doable with other classes or different kits. The stealth bonus 30% seems to be overpowered, but still it is much more worse then rogues, a total value for stealth will be around 100 if you max dex.
    On the other hand I tried to take from him as much as I could. Taking of the helmet, long blades, and other Ranger's spells.
    What I think that I can do is to lower stats restrictions by setting up Wis and Cha on 14 as the minimum value for this kit.

I will wait for Aquadrizzt and see what he says. If he could make it for me then it would be very awesome! :D
    But anyway, I would like to know how can I make this on my own, just in case later I decide to make some changes or create a new one for different class. Learning how to create custom class would be great as well. Let's see what solutions this topic can bring on the end.

Thank you very much CrevsDaak, if you could post some guide on how you create or edit existing kit that would be awesome too. As a tradition, sorry for my broken grammar etc. and poor English, learning English every day ;)

BUMP
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Sorry for the delay (*grumble grumble* organic chemistry *grumble*)

Balancing issues aside (and oh they are numerous), this is entirely doable (even with the v1.2 patch that added a dozen new tables that need to be updated).

Having said that, the kit as you suggested above is just a powerful conglomeration of some of the other kits with extra bonuses beyond that. Called Shot, grandmastery in bows and bonus to missile weapons (Archer) with bonus to Stealth and Find Familiar (Beastmaster) as well as grandmastery in melee weapons (usually reserved for Fighters), 5 bonus proficiency points (beyond the 2 that all rangers get) and ridiculously high min rolls, all at the expense of ranger spells (occasionally useful but not essential by any means), metal armor (which can easily be stepped-around by Ankheg and Dragon plates), helmets (meh, still have a dozen other magic item slots) and longswords (there are plenty of other good weapons).

tl;dr: entirely doable but completely unbalanced, whether you care about balance or not is really up to you.
  • KarrgootKarrgoot Member Posts: 26
    Aquadrizzt wrote: »
    Kit (subclass) mods are entirely doable using WeiDu (a program that patches and mods the in-game files).

"Ease of use" is relative; you are not slogging through the game code, editing bits and hoping it works. On the other hand, its not exactly the most user-friendly "programming language" either (and there is no GUI version... yet).

Making the base kit (ranger subclass with the aforementioned weapon and armor proficiencies, no spells except summons and some stealth bonuses) is easy. Custom spells are a bit more of a hassle... but still doable.

If you want, I could make a quick mod that makes this kit.

Hi there, can i trouble you for some help?

Can you fiddling around whit "WeiDu" make it possible for me to play

Cleric/Mage/Thief - Cleric/Druid/Mage - Kensai/Shadowdancer/Mage - Cavalier/Prest of Lathander - Blackguard/Cleric of Talos

I do not understand WeiDu, and this are some combinations i always wanted to play.