Skip to content

No reward or dialog for resurrecting Vernus

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
My true neutral charname is currently doing Dorn’s quest and everything is going well. We sacrificed Kitthix in the circle, summoned Azothet, and beat her to get Ur-Gothoz’s reward. Nice. Afterwards Aerie raised Vernus, and he had NOTHING to say, just stood there like a schmuck. Seems a bit ungrateful after we raised him. Yarrow had some grateful words to say and let us back to the surface as a reward. Winterbrook was as quiet as Vernus, and Summerheigh acted like her son was still dead...

Is this normal? Seems like a bug or worse an unfinished/missed opportunity. Then again, Dorn’s quest seems to assume an evil charname, so doing ‘good’ things like sparing Yarrow, Yarrow’s halfling buddy, Vernus and Winterbrook might never have been accounted for perhaps. Shame, when they put so much effort into making the Gorge LOOK good. It would have been helpful if Vernus had something to say about the Gorge at least, once raised...

I liked the golden ogre statue though ;)

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    It's normal. Just an oversight in how the quest was written.

And Dorn's quest is generally quite good about providing "not so evil" ways of doing things. There really should be some dialogue for raising Vernus and not sacrificing him. Also, Summerheigh should have some dialogue for the end of the quest - you know, telling her that you've cleansed the gorge, or killed Yarrow, or whatever you did down there.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2021
    I agree @jmerry : let's face it, the quests for the "new" party members in SOA and TOB have a lot of useful new features, nice appearances, and some great ideas, but many of them suffer from incomplete writing, and just don't behave like typical BG1 or BG2 interactions. Vernus and Clara are not really characters, just means to an end, and other NPCs are buggy or left standing around redundantly and mutely after their quests are completed. Rasaad's quest in TOB is similar, with clan dwarves stuck doing nothing if you don't 'use' them, and some their dialogues being rather buggy, and sometimes quest-breaking.

The Gorge doesn't seem cleansed at all once the demon is defeated. I mean I know it's not really what we're there for, but it's a happy side effect of Dorn's lust for power, and probably should've been addressed.

Fil has a very cute and well acted voice (reminiscent of Cespenar), but his interactions are a mess - my thief with 280 in pickpockets was able to sneak in and (impossibly) steal FIVE ritual stones from him and his pals before even initiating dialogue, leaving Fil 's quest broken and him standing (or flitting if you prefer) around like a doofus.

Similarly it was obvious Clara was under an enchantment of some sort, and many charnames would've realised this, forcefully prevented her from going to the tomb (or indeed going anywhere, as she was clearly afflicted), and sought a cure for her condition, leaving Hexxat well and truly in the lurch underground. Then again, Yoshimo is un-saveable, but the enchantment over him is less obvious, and arguably much more powerful.

Hopefully some of these loose ends will be fixed in future patches, because the main plotlines of these side quests are actually very good, but definitely need fleshing out.

On the plus side, I only lost one rep point throughout all of Dorn's quests, and was able to spare Telwyn and all of the wedding participants, acting like a voice of moderation and subtle control over Dorn. And that was well done. The quests are still grossly evil, but are at least (almost) rep-loss free if you choose the less bloodthirsty options, and intimidate/convince Dorn into towing the line.
    Post edited by Dharius on