Skip to content

Maniya Wolfbrook, Beast Master

RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
I have been toying with the idea of playing a Beasmaster. First, because of the RP potential. I can imagine that my character was always attracted to beasts, and at Candlekeep, she was always helping in the stables, or in the kennels. And I love the idea of a ranger very close to nature, a bit like a druid in fact, but still a ranger, with a fondness for human beings (the good part of the alignment).
So of course, it is severely gimped, but I want to try and see if the interactions with the natural world can create interesting possibilities.
So I have some questions for all those who have been brave enough using Beasmaster !

1- Has someone already done a full playthrough until TOB with a Beastmaster ? Even soloed ?
2- If I use the Tweaks Anthology I can have a IWD ranger spell table. Does this mean that from level 6 I will be able to use the Summon Animal spell ?
3- Are there any good mod that I may use (for a whole playthrough BG SoD SoA ToB) ?
4- From a RP point of view (questions a bit similar for druids) :
4-1. Is it OK to use animals as "cannon fodder" ?
4-2. Which quests would you avoid (spiders ? they are evil after all. Basiliks ?).

Thanks a lot !

As I have stated below, I take inspiration from the fantastic playthrough of Serene Winterbloom by @Blackraven .
Post edited by Rigel on

Comments

• RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    The idea of playing a Beastmaster came to me after I saw this nice portrait from IWD
    i2tfn4r7e499.bmp
    Thanks @Vicissitude I pretty do agree with your point.
    edited March 2021
    With the money received from the Temple they bought two nice wands at High Hedge and a couple of scrolls. Then Imoen convinced Maniya that they need to add a thief to their team, and that she heard that a Halfling village was not far away from Beregost. They headed there, even if Ajantis frowned a bit (a thief ? why ?). Maniya was happy going to Gullykin because she did not feel well in Beregost. Too much people for my taste.
    WHen they arrived to Gullykin, they met a young and joyful halfling who proposed to join their team. Maniya was convinced by her good nature, and a demonstration she made of her talents to open doors. Even Ajantis was won upon by Alora's cheerfulness, and the four of them headed to Nashkel.
    Post edited by Rigel on
    edited March 2021
    But first they came back to Beregost. Ajantis heard about a poor singer who was threatened by local thugs and convinced the team to help her. But Maniya did not feel well with this story, and when the so-called thugs came, she realized that this was all wrong. She screamed to Ajantis not to attack them, and with the help of a skill that he possessed (Detect Evil), he too realized that the bad guy was in fact the singer. She showed her true face and started casting spells at the team. Imoen tried to cast a blindness spell which (one more time...) did not succeed... the fight was tough (I was lucky because Maniya succeeded her saving throw against spell after she was hit by a chromatic orb. A previous character of mine, a nice barbarian, was transformed to stone and this was the end of the game for her ...pretty tough, the SCS Silke). But the sword of Ajantis, together with the arrows of Maniya and Alora brought down the evil bard...

A lot of things happened. Good things and bad things. After all, this is a no-reload game, so I take what happens, even if is due to my own gross failures ... and interestingly, I failed not where I expected. But Maniya is still alive, even if it was a very close call.
    After going back to Nashkel, the team freed a Northen cleric of Tempus who proposed to join them. Branwen was her name (was ... indeed ,,, see later), and she was full of rage and of energy.
    First, the team went south of Nashkel, confronted aggressive hunters and two morons, with one of them claiming being the fastest dart-thrower from Faerun. Maniya took care of him with a blow of her quarterstaff. After helping poor "Albert", they headed to the west, where they help a dryad who was attacked by two brutal loggers, and a young girl who was looking for her cat.
    Then, they arrived to what seemed like a fortress populated with gnolls. The attack was not very diffcult, and they freed an arrogant mage called Dynaheir. They brought her back to Nashkel, where she found her bodyguard. They proposed to join the team, but Maniya declined because she did not feel at ease with the wizard's haughty behavior.
    The Nashkel mines were easily cleaned. It was easier from what I expected, particularly the damned kobold shaman and chieftain who can be deadly (lightning + poison ... sometimes it hurts...). Mulahey was a piece of cake. Then, they met an elf enchanter, a bit whining, but pretty powerful, who joined them.
    After coming back to Nashkel and then to Beregost, the team confronted Tranzig. The fight was quick (can be sometimes tricky too ... the sleep spell is still problematic at those levels). Then, after a quick visit to High Hedge, the team headed to the west. and this was a MISTAKE.
    Bloody Shoal. AJantis fell to her kiss (Maniya was a bit jealous that he would accept). Then Droth appeared, and he slains both AJantis (who just had one HP) and Branwen - bad luck, her helmet was made of iron and crumbled, so she received a critical hit which killed her. Now, we had two bodies to carry. I have a rule that if my party is far away from a temple, I need to check if the members are strong enough to carry a body. And two bodies was not possible for my party. So they chose to bury Branwen and carry Ajantis with them. Then, they took a wrong direction and fell upon a group of ogres which they quickly dispatched (Web + sleep + two bow women ...). And suddenly, after meeting two wolves that Maniya charmed they fell upon legendary sirines (OK it was a bit ambitious and dangerous but I tried,,,). The wolves helped a lot (as well as the sleep's spells of Xan), and two sirines fell quickly but the last one managed to charm Maniya (...) who turned her bow towards Imoen and killed her with a critical hit ... OK, I though this was it but the Charm effect quickly dissipated and in the meantime little Alora managed to kill the sirine. OK, but now we had another body to carry, and for Maniya, even if she was starting to be in love with Ajantis, there was no hesitation. Her old and good friend Imoen, and moreover she was the one who killed her ... she would do anything to bring her back to life. So they came back and .... hopefully ... there was no further encounter (we are in the dangerous time when obe can meet the bounty hunter's group ... ). After a brief visit to the Morning Temple where Imoen was brought bak to life, they had a good rest in Beregost. We would need to beef up the team, thought Maniya. Hopefully they met a grumpy dwarf who proposed to join them. Ans sometime later, they saved a beautiful drow who was unjustly attacked by a Flaming Fist mercenary.
    So a new team, a bit of bad luck and as well some luck (after the sirine's charm ...).
    At the moment, Maniya is level 4.
    edited March 2021
    The team:
    - Maniya Wolfbrook CG Beast Master level 4
    - Kagain Level 5
    - Viconia Level 5
    - Alora Level 5
    - Xan Level 4
    - Imoen T2/M4

OK, a pity that I lost Ajantis, because I was trying for the first time the romance with him. And Branwen, I like her. But Viconia and Kagain, seemed to me the two evil chartacters who can fit in a good party.
    Kagain particularly, seems to me more LN (or LN with a tendency to evil). And Viconia is not blood thirsty crazy (like SHar-Teel, whom I love btw) or cold-killer-style (like Edwin).

The good news is that Kagain, a DWARF is on the team. Because a party without a dwarf (and without a halfling) cannot be serious ....
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Not too long ago, I did a successful no reload of BG1+TotSC with a Stalker, which isn't radically different for BG1 than a Beastmaster. Most of the kit benefits unlock in BG2. What you're getting here is the stealth bonus. As I've told you elsewhere, heavy use of stealth scouting improves the quality of life on no-reload runs. A ranger than can consistently stealth is a great candidate for those boots of speed too. Ranger kits IMO are a high recommend for folks trying to no-reload for the first time.

Interesting to hear your setbacks, that really is one of the joys of limiting reloads, the adventure takes on an immersive quality.

Hope you can push it to BG2. The unlocked benefits seem like they would permit alot of flexibility in your party composition. That kit could support a heavily ranged party, for example.
    Now Maniya level 5. We are in the lighthouse area, a pretty dangerous area ....
    I am looking forwrd to getting to level 6. I use the tweak to get IWD ranger spell, so I should get my first spell atthis level, and I hope I will get as well ANimal Summoning I (I hope I will not have to wait for level 8 ...).
    Thanks @DinoDin . I plan to try a Stalker as well afterwards. Yes, I am trying to use intensively the stealthing. For the moment, I have the Worn whispers, but I guess it is good to shift to the Paws of Cheetah later ? Have you been keeping the character in SoD and in SoA/ToB?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The movement speed is a lot more important if you're backstabbing than if you're just scouting. And it plays better on a melee character than a ranged one - your beastmaster is almost certainly primarily using bows in BG1, because they're so strong.

So - in your current party, I'd give Kagain and Alora priority for the boots of speed. Kagain uses them to get out in front and draw attention so he can tank better, Alora uses them for backstabs. Your protagonist might occasionally borrow the boots while scouting, but that's it.
    Thanks @jmerry . I indeed use primarily bows (and a quarterstaff sometimes).
    edited March 2021
    I'm not sure it's so clear-cut who to give the boots to. In defense of jmerry's position, I'll definitely say that from a pure, maximizing of damage point of view, it's probably best to put them on your melee tank and forget about them.

But I do think trying one's own patience can be a factor in these no-reload runs. And I really felt that using the boots on my stalker as a forward scout helped speed up the gameplay in a satisfying way. FWIW, I also play in a style where I'm not constantly switching gear alot. I didn't even backstab all that much in BG1.

There's also something to be said for having the boots of speed on your protagonist, the ability to get them out of trouble without having to worry about gear swapping. My first successful no-reload run almost ended in the finale. My whole party was dead as were Sarevok's goons. But, I was able to kite him with throwing daggers because of the boots and potions of speed.

It all really depends on what tactics you have grown comfortable doing. If you're being hyper diligent about always stealth-scouting ahead, then I'd give your beastmaster the boots. If you're only scouting ahead some of the time, then I'd probably give them to your melee tank. One of the great things about no-reload runs is thinking deeply about the tradeoffs of decisions and how that fits into your play style.
    Rigel wrote: »
    Thanks @DinoDin . I plan to try a Stalker as well afterwards. Yes, I am trying to use intensively the stealthing. For the moment, I have the Worn whispers, but I guess it is good to shift to the Paws of Cheetah later ? Have you been keeping the character in SoD and in SoA/ToB?

To answer your second question, I did keep the Stalker around for SoD and BG2 but I didn't succeed in a no reload. I still have yet to beat BG2 or SoD on no-reload. I always give myself the chance to transition into a limited reload run if I die, where I only reload from an inn, or rare other safe area. So I finished that way. The goal of the build was to transition to a Stalker-Cleric, an attempt at an OP build I had never tried. TBH, I ended up wishing I had stuck with the pure Stalker class. It's the class that has probably grown the most power due to EE changes -- dual-wielding no longer blocks two-handed wielding.

Doubly fun for ToB, because of the early movement speed armor you get, which meant the entire party had boosted movement speed pretty much from the start. Though this would be true of any party composition with Valygar.
    Thanks @DinoDin . As well, I usually do not switch gear (I try to be "realistic" from this point of view). For the moment, my Beastmaster has the following gear:
    - Protector of the second (not the best armor but I love this armor from a RP point of view for rangers)
    - Gift of peace
    - Worn whispers
    - Elve's bane
    - Relair's mistake (seems to fit well for a beastmaster)
    - Quarterstaff +1
    - Long bow
    I have just read the adventures of Serene Winterbloom from @Blackraven . Amazing and a great source of inspiration !
    edited March 2021
    Some news - we are still in chapter 3, and we have not yet dared attacking the bandit's camp. Maniya feels that her party needs to buff up, to learn to fight together, in order to tackle the difficult task of attacking a whole bandit's lair.
    In the meantime, the party travelled a lot. Thanks to the harsh experience they had with sirines, they were able to confront some more near a cave, even if Maniya tried to convince the Sirine queen of their peaceful intentions. This time, it was surprisingly Kagain who got charmed, but Alora and Maniya managed to kill the sirines before further damage be done. In the cave, Kagain gulped a potion which helped him fight the unnatural abominations which lurked inside, three flesh golems. In the cave, they found a treasure, an interesting book that Maniya read, which taught her some very interesting body training techniques. She has been feeling more resistant since this reading. As well, she found a cape that Xan identified as the legendary Relair's mistake. Maniya remembered having read about it at Candlekeep, and since nobody else wanted to wear it (the cape is made of wolf's fur, and wears a distinctive and strong animal odor, something which is not at all problematic for her- on the contrary, said Imoen with a smile, it seems it was done for you ...). At a lighthouse, they killed a pack of worgs. Maniya tried to charm them, but they were in a frenzy state, and were trying to kill a young boy who was hidden in the ruins. His mother thanked her a lot. Maniya has the strange feeling that when they do good actions, Kagain and Viconia are not happy at all. She tried to speak with them about it, but the dwarf would not listen, but stated that as long as a dwarven strong hand was needed, he would keep on working with her. Maniya understood as well that he was more interested in the nice loot of their adventures. He would usually get the lion share of it, because none of the other companions were really interested in collecting vast amount of gold. Viconia told her that she was naive, but since she helped her, she would stay, even if her behavior was sometimes pretty strange and weak for a she-warrior...
    Post edited by Rigel on
    edited March 2021
    Finally, after another outburst from Kagain, Maniya decided, with the help of Imoen and Xan, to have a serious discussion with him. You don't have to stay with us if the way the party is managed hurts you too much, told him Maniya. But quickly she let Imoen, who is far more articulate than her (even if recently, after reading a book found in a cave, written by a certain A. Schoope'n'haoer, she knows a bit better how to discuss and convince people), lead the discussion. And this was the good choice. Imoen struck a deal with Kagain - he would receive a half of all the loot that the party would find. He could keep all the gems. The rest would be allocated to a "common pot", which would be managed by the five other team members. They would decide what to buy with it, would define priorities, who should be given certain items ...
    Kagain frowned, laughed but accepted. You are nuts, he said, but this is a good deal, and you have my word that I will keep it. This crazyness of sharing everything together, this reminds me of a dwarf who came to Beregost a couple of years ago. Man was crazy. He was called Vol'odyia Ulyaanoff. Wanted that everybody should unite together, put all our money in common, and build a new village managed by a council. He came to see me and tried to convince me. He played the "brother dwarf" tune to me. Told him to go to Hell. Finally, he was thrown out of the city, and he owed his miserable life to the stupidity of this Lathander priest who sapred him whilst everybody wanted to have him hanged. Crazy dwarf, made me feel ashamed...don't know where he is now. Heard he decided to move to the North East. Surely was smashed by Frost giants if he tried to preach to them...

As well, Viconia stated to Maniya that she would stay with them, but that she should take care of not being too soft. Believe me or not, this will not help you. Those beasts you fancy, they are tough. Maniya answered her that no beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. Viconia started to answer with an aggressive tone "But I know ..." and suddenly stopped and left the room, apparently disturbed.

edited March 2021
    I have just finished chapter 3. Will give more details about the adventure later. I have to state that due to a glitch, I did a mistake and that Maniya was killed by a Black Talon bandit. But I like the character so I will keep playing with her, in order to keep on exploring the SCS options. But from now on, this will be a minimum reload game, and not a no-reload one.
    RIP. Sorry to hear, I appreciate your updates. Yeah, black talons are brutal. They're one of the key reasons why in BG1, I often prefer getting sword and shield style on my tank characters, as opposed to pushing their weapon proficiencies upwards. Even on someone like Khalid or Kagain. Positioning is so important when moving through the wilds too.
    Before tackling the bandit camp, Maniya and her friends spent some time visiting the areas near Nashkel and Beregost. First, they decided to go to Gullykin, when Alora received a message from her aunt that the village was under constant attacks from kobolds, apparently aided by some mages. The village is sometimes attacked by those damn kobolds, explained the messenger, but those ones seem particularly well armed, and act with surprisingly intelligence and cunningness.
    So the troup arrived in Gullykin, discussed with the mayor Gandolar Luckyfoot. He explained to them how to sneak into the tunnels through a secret entrance in the temple. After some preparations, the party entered the tunnel. Gandolar could not provide them with some fighters, because they were needed in order to pretect the hamlet's surroundings. Moreover, he said whilst lowering the voice, people are scared. We sent ten of our best fighters one week ago, and just one came back, and he was babbling incoherent things, and was burnet over almost all his body. He died a couple of days later. Since, we have put a glyph of protection in the secret entrance, You will be able to enter through it, but there is no coming back. I wish you luck, and to you, Alora Nimblefingers, I give to you this special rabbit foot which will help you and your friends in your endeavors. Alora was very moved, and her aunt as well. She was no longer since as a turbulent brainless child, but as the last protection of the village.
    They entered through the secret entrance. Alvanhendar the priest gave them some potions as well as a small cask of ale for Kagain. Special one, I brewed it myself a couple of years ago for a dear dwarf friend of mine. We were members of a band of adventurers. Hurgan Stoneblade was his name. We had several good years until we tried to enter Durlag's tower, not far away from here. Hurgan wanted to look for some object, and to be hionest, we were interested as well to see if the legends concerning the famed treasures of Durlag were true. I did not want to rob the tower, but when we entered, we discovered that pure crazyness was reigning there. And... the monsters ... it was a nightmare. One by one, all our companions fell, and we managed to flee the tower, Hurgan and myself, with the help of Yondalla. Hurgan had managed to find a bag of very rare gems that we shared between us. I built this temple to Yondalla to thank her for her help. I do not know where Hurgan is nowadays, I think in the north. Anyway, enough chatting. Take this cask, you will appreciate it. Kagain, usually grumpy, was thankful and even grumbled a thank you in his beard.
    The tunnels were cold, damp and dark. The party had torches that were given to them by Gandolar. Maniya and Alora scouted the tunnels, and found some places full of kobolds and some traps that Alora disarmed. Then, they stumbled into some ghosts that were looking for an armor. A brief fight with a skeleton and the armor was given back to the group of ghosts who seemed relieved. Then, a long way in the tunnels, with fights almost every corner against kobolds armed with fire arrows began. Kagain made miracles with his hammer, Alora and Maniya with their bow. At the end of a long corridor, Maniya scouted and saw a party of one mage, one ogre-mage, two ogrillons and some kobolds who were drinking loudly together and celebrating something. They had not heard the fights in the tunnels. Xan and Imoen casted some protective spells, and the fight began. Maniya single-handly defeated the two ogrillons, whilst Kagain and Alora attacked the mage. But this one was a tough nut to crack. He seemed to love extreme temperature, because after a devastating fireball, he pointed an icelance at Xan, who fell. Imoen managed to diffuse the illusion spell he was using, and a couple of hammer blows finished him. Before falling, Xan had time to cast a Horror spell, which sent the Ogre mage running around like a mad man. Arrows killed him on the spot.
    The exit of the tunnels was in the house of a very aggressive halfling, whom Alora recognized as Jenkal. He had the bad reputation of being a smuggler, someone who could find you everything you needed. And very greedy as well. He fled quickly, and left after him evidences that Alora brought to Gandolar. The village was very glad and thankful. They organized a small feast (small in halfling description : almost 20 different dishes were served) and some special casks were opened. Maniya saw for the first time Kagain smiling and laughing. This was a nice day. Xan was still a bit shaky after Alvanhendar resurrect him with the help of a special potion that he kept in a small casket, but even he cheered up finally.
  • FenrirWolfgangerFenrirWolfganger Member Posts: 31
    Enjoying your role-playing @Rigel. Xan cheering up seems less likely than Viconia being reasonable (I love Viconia). Have to ask. 1) Did you give Kagain the Gem pouch for storing all the gems? Did your discussion involve an altering of their alignments? All the best in dodging death.
    @FenrirWolfganger Thank you very much for your comments ! Yes, I gave the gem pouch to Kagain, and it will not be possible to take it back from him ! No I did not change their alignement but I use the tweak which prevents characters to leave due to the aligment (even if they complain). For me Kagain is more a LN with a tendency to evil (some kind of selfish bounty hunter). But I can see him in a more good orientated party, as well as Viconia.
    Will keep on updating soon ! At the moment, we are in the Cloakwood mines ...