Skip to content

Help with Mage/Thief weapon proficiency and skill points.

ShepherdShepherd Member Posts: 2
Hi,

Looking to run my first solo run of the full baldurs gate series and would like to know a couple of things to help me plan my build. I haven't decided between gnome or elf yet.

Firstly, how many weapon pips will I get in total?

How many skill points will I get to allocate into each thief skill?

Cheers

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A multiclass mage/thief gets proficiency and skill points on the thief's schedule. Two weapon proficiencies to start with, another at thief level 4, and each four thief levels after that. The skill points are 40 at thief level 1, and 25 at each thief level after that.

Your levels at some milestones:
    161K XP (BGEE cap): Mage 7/Thief 8. Four proficiency points, 215 skill points.
    500K XP (SoD cap): Mage 10/Thief 11. Four proficiency points, 290 skill points.
    3000K XP (First HLA): Mage 14/Thief 16. Six proficiency points, 415 skill points.
    8000K XP (BG2EE cap): Mage 20/Thief 28. Nine proficiency points, 715 skill points.

On the skill points, there are also bonuses based on race and dexterity to consider.
    An elf with 19 Dex gets +35 to Pick Pockets, +25 to Open Locks, +15 to Find Traps, +30 to Move Silently, +30 to Hide in Shadows, +0 to Detect Illusion, and +10 to Set Traps, a total of +145 points.
    A gnome with 18 Dex gets +25 to Pick Pockets, +30 to Open Locks, +20 to Find Traps, +25 to Move Silently, +20 to Hide in Shadows, +10 to Detect Illusion, and +10 to Set Traps, a total of +140 points.
  • ShepherdShepherd Member Posts: 2
    This is perfect. Exactly what I was after thanks.

I thought there might be a cap so to speak on the thief skills before hitting max thief level and didn't want to get to mid game bg2 without being able to max detect illussion.