Skip to content

Alteration/rebalance of the Beastmaster kit

hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
Okay so I think this would be my first attempt at maybe putting together a mod others can install using Weidu, of course I'm going to have to figure out how Weidu works but there is documentation for that.

This is not a big tweak, though I might think on if more could be done with it. Basically I don't care for the implementation of the Animal Summoning spells on the Priest list. So I've managed to alter them to be innate abilities. My initial idea is AS1 at level 3, AS2 at level 7 and AS3 at level 11. I would remove the Find Familiar ability, I really think it's more of just a Mage thing. Beastmasters can't even have the Ferret familiar so you can't even roleplay the old cheesy movie Beastmaster.

I think the main question would be, should I add more castings of the spells as the Beastmaster increases in level? I think if I did that I'd probably add castings at level 5, 9 and 13. That would make 13 a good level to then dual class to Cleric. You'd have every benefit of the kit besides the extra proficiency points.

Another option is giving Conjure Animals as a 4th spell, at level 15.

Feel free to suggest ideas, but bear in mind I'm very very new at this and I want to work with the resources already in the game.

Comments

• J_BeauJ_Beau Member Posts: 1
    I vote for Conjure Animals. I would use this mod if you decide to go through with it.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    edited August 2022
    I actually decided to go much crazier with this, this is the version of the beastmaster I made for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2:

Edit: After some careful consideration, I may have had fun with my really over the top idea of the Beastmaster but it wasn't particularly balanced and it was certainly not lore friendly and was very loose with what the concept "beastmaster" would say to most people. So instead, here is the version I will go with. It's the same essentially as the initial idea except the level progression of obtaining the summons is slowed down. My thinking for this is that in BG1, Charm Animal is pretty good most of the game, and Animal Summoning I is a fairly potent spell for most of it too, so I want to give the sense the power to use it is a major boost for the kit; you can get ASII at the cap and can use that in the endgame and throughout SoD. AS I is definitely overpowered early in IWD1 as well, but pulling it back a level should help. In BG2 AS II will be a fairly immediate boost and you'll have more time to make use of it before getting to AS III. With my other changes they can also get Weapon grandmastery a lot more priest spell slots in ToB (3 level 7 slots at the cap) and Summon Deva because I do not think there is any good reason for them to be denied that when Paladins, Clerics and Druids all get it. In the end, is the Beastmaster a strong kit with these changes? Probably not in Throne of Bhaal. But that's a pretty poorly balanced expansion regardless, but in BG1 and SoA, this take at least delivers on the name.
    BEASTMASTER: This Ranger is a wanderer and is not comfortable in civilized lands. Therefore, <PRO_HESHE> maintains a natural affinity for animals; they are <PRO_HISHER> friends and comrades-in-arms, and the Beast Master has a limited form of telepathic communication with them; allowing them to call beasts to their aid with enough experience.

Advantages:
    – +15% to Move Silently and Hide In Shadows.
    – 4th level: May cast Animal Summoning I twice per day.
    – 7th level: May cast Animal Summoning II twice per day.
    – 10th level: May cast Animal Summoning III twice per day.
    – 13th level: May cast Conjure Animals.

Disadvantages:
    – May not use any metal weapons (for example: swords, halberds, war hammers, or morning stars).
    – May not wear armor heavier than studded leather.

I took a long break from these games, kinda had to but now that I am back I feel I will try and make a proper installable mod for certain balance changes. Beastmaster is easilly the one I modify the most, but I also modify the Wizard Slayer and Barbarian to get their resistances earlier and also give Barb's weapon mastery to make them a stronger choice versus the Berserker. Here are the changes to the WS and Barb -
    BARBARIAN: A Barbarian can be an excellent warrior. While not as disciplined or as skilled as a Fighter, the Barbarian can willingly throw <PRO_HIMHER>self into a berserker rage, becoming a tougher and stronger opponent.

Advantages:
    – Moves 2 points faster than other characters.
    – Immune to backstab.
    – May use the Rage ability once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 4 levels thereafter.

RAGE: The enraged status lasts for 5 rounds and provides a +4 bonus to Strength and Constitution, a -2 penalty to Armor Class and a +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Spell, as well as immunity to all charm, hold, fear, maze, stun, sleep, confusion, and level drain spells.

– Gains 10% resistance to crushing, slashing, piercing, and missile damage. An additional 5% is gained every three levels until 19.
    – Hit Die: d12

Disadvantages:
    – May not wear armor heavier than splint mail.
    WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior has been specially trained by <PRO_HISHER> sect to excel in hunting and combating spellcasters of all kinds.

Advantages:
    – Each successful hit bestows a 25% cumulative chance of spell failure on the target.
    – 20% Magic resistance.
    – Gains +5% Magic resistance every three levels.

Disadvantages:
    – May not use any magic items apart from weapons and armor.

There are other changes I make for my personal game some might see as drastic, for example only allowing true classes to dual class (dual classing kits feels wrong to me because most of them sound like they require a dedicated person plus some combos are blatantly meta like Wizard Slayer-Mage), giving weapon mastery to rangers, paladins and Multi class fighters etc. Some of it is house keeping, I don't care for the Paladin and Ranger classes gaining constant new castings of Detect Evil/Charm Animal long past the point those skills have any use so I just keep the 4 DE the Paladins start with, no additions, and 3 casting of CA for Rangers.

I guess I'm posting to both gauge interest and seek advice on how best to package these potential changes.
    Post edited by hybridial on