Skip to content

Learning the ropes....

Hey all... I have been trying to get into a few of these games... I own most of them (BGEE, BG2EE, Icewind Dale EE, Neverwinter series, The Divinity games, Pillars, Pathfinder, etc...) I tend to rush through them, usually fail miserably, or eventually just put them down since I really have no clue how to build my characters. Since most of these appear to follow the D&D ruleset, or somewhat, is there any place I can start to learn this so that I can get the most out of these games? I was considering getting one of the D&D starter sets, but figured I'd ask here first.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Some little tips to add to that...

At low levels, AD&D (the system modeled by the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale) is very lethal. It's easy for characters to die in just one or two hits. The game lets you resurrect them, but until mid-level play and spells like Raise Dead, you can only do this at a temple.
    So, how can you keep your characters alive better at low levels? Ranged attacks. Particularly bows. Building a party to have multiple bow users is a good idea in the games that start at level 1.

In the Baldur's Gate series, your protagonist (the character you build, or the first if you made more than one) dying is a Game Over. Building either a warrior (high hit points) or someone that stays behind the lines is recommended for newer players.

Some enemies (such as basilisks in BG1 or beholders in BG2) are incredibly lethal if you're not prepared for them. Don't give up hope. The game gives you ways to turn that around on them and make the fight unfair in the other direction.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2021
    The challenges that need to be addressed early on are that the pool of hit points is very low, and sensitivity to bad status effects very high. The latter will remain a key issue throughout most of the game, so while addressing it might be somewhat less urgent, it's not less important.

Ranged attacks help a lot in both cases indeed. Still, based on this, one of the protagonists that would have the easiest time early on might be a Dwarf Berserker with maxed strength, constitution and dexterity. That'll mean optimal HP, AC, the ability to wear the heaviest of armors and the best resistance to bad status effects thanks to greatly improved saving throws and the Enrage skill. He'll be a frontliner though, Berserkers aren't made for ranged.

Seek to teach your mage the Sleep spell as early as possible, because for enemies too, sensitivity to bad status effects is very high. If you have a Priest, rely on the Command spell. Both cause the sleep status effect which lets you hit a target regardless of your accuracy (THAC0), without them being able to hit back.

You'll want to find as early as you can a Plate Mail as an important stopgap. What you really want is Ankheg Plate Mail, or even better the Full Plate Mail sold by Taerom Fuirim. Buying things that boost AC is more urgent than buying weaponry. Your effective HP is 20 times higher than it looks when enemies can only land a blow on a critical hit — a natural 20 on an attack roll. Read the Armor Class article I linked to to understand the subtlety of AC vs certain damage types, as armors provide uneven protection and there are belts to cover them up.

To buy earlier, consider increasing your reputation and recruiting Garrick at level 2+ only for the purpose of buying. If you teach him the Friends spell, he'll be able to boost his charisma to 20+. Together with a reputation of 18 this will cut the price of the Full Plate to 55% of what you'd pay with average charisma and reputation — 4920 gold instead of 9000. Garrick must be in the party leader slot (the topmost) for his charisma to lower prices. You can dismiss him from the party after shopping, then go kill off some dude in an isolated house to calm down evil party members, they don't quite like reputation 18, don't stay too long with this much.
    Post edited by Thunderburp on
  • FurianXOFurianXO Member Posts: 6
    Thank you all for the very detailed and thought out replies.