Skip to content

NWN:EE Glow/lights

Is there any way to get rid of the glow/light/luminous light in fires/wall sconces/torches etc.? I find these annoying.

Comments

• ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    I'm pretty sure it's a tga file. I saw it once years ago when I extracted all the textures from the game.
    Anyway, if you put an override of that file you could do it. Maybe I'll find time to get you the exact name of the file later.
    Here. It wasn't as hard as I thought. Drop these files in your override folder.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 330
    Why don’t they just remove it completely from the game?
    You're the only person who's mentioned not liking it that I know of.
    I might have missed some less common lens-flairs from spell effects in that file.

So I think the intention was to simulate the effect of bright lights kind of blinding you. This is called the Bloom effect or High Dynamic Range. NWN has done it pretty tastefully compared to many others. I don't like that it shines through walls a lot. Especially if you have the secondary tiles always showing.

Though I agree that light blooming is not a great visual effect, there are more egregious ones that seem to be put into most every game these days:
    1. Motion blur. Games can generally run at more than 24 frames per second. It's okay for movies, but high frames per second beats motion blur any day.
    2. Depth of Field. Again, this is a game not a movie. The player should be able to focus on anything in the screen at any given time.
    3. Tessellation. This is a sin of not adding it to games. It is the best technology for games in a long time, but it's still rare to find a new game that uses it. NWN is exempt from this, of course, by virtue of being made several years before it became available.

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    If, like me, you have not heard of Tessellation before (GTA 5 is not my type of game) here is what appears to be a good article on it.

TR