Skip to content

Change in Lighting Math since last major update?

I've been quite the shutter bug compiling a mass of screenshots from the PW that I have been playing on, and in doing so have gotten very good at dialing the custom "advanced" lighting multipliers

Lighting Cutoff Ranger Multiplier
Lighting Max Intensity
Lighting Intensity at Range.

and what I have noticed is that since this major update, the lighting on things like placables is all wrong.

Not only that, the sliders for the lighting max intensity work on a different log scale, as does the Cutoff Ranger Multiplier.

In layman's terms... the hot spot is too hot too quick and far to twitchy of a control now, and the "Throw" of the light throws way too much too quickly.

it seems like the value of 1.0 is now a value of 0. (Off) so when you make the value something OTHER than one, different results of the change in value

Max intensity has a possible value slider of 1.0 - 5.0 --but if I put the Max Intensity to 1.0, the intensity at ranged gets exponentially higher value.

Compare to a value of 1.5 and the hot spot is greater, but the value of the light at ranged is lowered.

pesejcmwpyye.png

Top Image, Max Intensity = 1.5
Bottom image, Max Intensity = 1.0

normally when you multiply something by a larger number it returns a greater value not a lower value, unless there is some sort of log curv on it.

whatever you guys did in your update... changed the lighting math.

Comments

• ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    edited June 2021
    Sorry this may not actually be related, but similar.
    There is something not right.
    Here's a floor design. Left: Now, Right: Then.zr0i2yg6ezoy.jpg

I realize there's more lighting from the player in the 'now' shot, but you can barely see the design.
    Post edited by ForSerious on
    Here's another more common one. Left: Now. Right: From the toolset, and how it used to look.re4gdgr0r422.jpg
    I have all the lighting settings set to the default values. There is no combination of settings that gets the lights to looked like they used to.
  • KrivoklatKrivoklat Member Posts: 25
    Yeah, there's been a really odd change. even the color of the lights is different. I notice it especially walking around at night time in urban/city environments.

I prefer to have the lowest number of shadow-casting lights on, so my settings are on Max 3 lights, and I find as I walk through town, those "light pools" that the game uses to throw light into a scene are constantly switching and it looks like someone is flipping light switches on and off.

it's like the calculations of proximity to a light source ingame from your character has changed, and now certain areas begin to look like a disco.

Yesterday I was in combat in a cave, and the Pool of Light that is used to illuminate the cave kept changeing between near my character and far away.. then near, then far away.. --it was like my character was fighting with one foot on a radius line and one foot out, and as he would shift in combat, the light sources would change.

It's super annoying.

I really REALLY wish I could swap to before the last major update. I really don't want to play this game in the current update version. I wish I could go back to v82 because v83 blows

--i mean.. thanks for the path tracing and all that shit. Why Beamdog, why did you mess with the lighting in v83???
    Krivoklat wrote: »
    .. thanks for the path tracing and all that..
    Meh. The path finding is still pretty lame compared to games like Warcraft II and Age of Empires... Oh you mean light path tracing, not unit path finding.
    Yeah it has great potential, but it has not realized it yet.