Skip to content

Item Revisions & Spell Revisions; your opinions?

tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
I'm on a new EET playthrough using IR Revised and SR Revised + SCS.

I'm early in the game (haven't done Nashkel mines yet), and I'm not sure how I feel about IR/SR...

On the one hand, I loved vanilla SCS but it always irked me that so much equipment and so many spells were completely useless and seemed to exist for no reason at all. IR/SR definitely fixes that problem, and now there are many more spells that feel viable.

On the other hand, the combat doesn't feel quite right to me. It feels unbalanced and unfair in a way that vanilla SCS didn't. Even if my party got completely destroyed in a battle in vanilla SCS, I always felt it was 100% fair; like losing a chess match against a good opponent where your mistake costs you.

Here, I feel like the items and spells are simply not fundamentally as well-balanced.

BUT, I only *just* started; my CHARNAME isn't even on level 3 yet.

Should I tough it out? Does it get better? Is IR/SR the new way to play (like SCS is)? What do you all think?

EDIT: I decided to abandon my current game and start a new game without IR revised and SR revised. While I appreciate the thought behind the changes, it's just not for me.
Post edited by tl1942 on

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    It is very good if you already played the game more times without it and wants something new. So much better than base scs (in that case, i dont like scs without SR, because how it modify some base spell functions) and works fine especially in bg2.
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    Ironically, it turns out that I actually strongly preferred base SCS to SR/IR+SCS.

To each their own!
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I really like SCS +SR, IR I sometimes use, sometimes don’t for variety’s sake. Sometimes it depends on what other mods I’m using.
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    I've played with IR a few times. I'm sure it has its issues, but I wouldn't play without it anymore. I tried SR a few years ago, but had major issues with it. Not the design of the spells itself, but there were a lot of things broken (at least in my game). Summons had random strings of text for names, both summon and charm spells made creatures switch sides multiple times in a few rounds, etc. I tolerated it up to the cloakwood, got rid of it then.
    Now I'm trying my first game with IRR and SRR (with SCS). No issues so far, but only just got to Nashkel. Will have to see how it performs. So far the level 1 spells are almost all useful.