Skip to content

Where is the banter?

Goodfire_IIIGoodfire_III Member Posts: 1
Hello. First Post.

I'm a long time ago pen and paper player (I'm in my 50s and I first played in 1982 or so when the packet with some dice and the 3 books came out).

I bought BGEE and BG2EE and I rolled up a custom party (multi-player with just me) of a Fighter, a Thief, a Cleric, and a Mage - all with no kits.

I'm playing unmodded.

I played all the way through SoA and had a blast(!) just watching and enjoying the mechanics of that old D&D game that I remembered.

What an amazing experience. I couldn't believe all of the old spells were there and how they worked into the higher levels.

Why don't they make games like this anymore?

So I played through again with kits but I lost interest because I had a berserker and a inquisitor in my party and I felt like I had cheat buttons and I didn't enjoy it. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, I kept reading about how "custom characters" are a waste because you miss out on all of the banter.

So now I'm on another run through BG2, this time single player, and I've done the circus, freed the slaves (and the boat), cleared out the trolls in the keep, and I'm now in the shadow temple. I did the paladin's quest (felt like a dirt bag for keeping him) and I think a little bit of Anomen's.

In my party is The Paladin (Keldorn?), Minsc (LOL), Mazzy, Jan (OMG), and Anomen. (I'm a sorcerer).

While I find them very interesting and enjoyable, they really don't talk very much - other than when I click them to do something. Or sometimes saying encouraging things, etc.

Where is the banter? They're not talking to me or to each other. Is something wrong? Or am I not being patient enough?

(edit: Spelling Corrections)

Post edited by Goodfire_III on

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2021
    Hello. First Post.

I'm a long time ago Pen and paper player (I'm in my 50s and I first played in 1982 or so when the packet with some dice and the 3 books came out).

I bought BGEE and BG2EE and I rolled up a custom party (multi-player with just me) of a Fighter, a Thief, a Cleric, and a Mage - all with no kits.

I'm playing unmodded.

I played all the way through SoA and had a blast(!) just watching and enjoying the mechanics of that old D&D game that I remembered.

What an amazing experience. I couldn't believe all of the old spells were there and how they worked into the higher levels.

Why don't they make games like this anymore?

So I played through again with kits but I lost interest because I had a berserker and a inquisitor in my party and I felt like I had cheat buttons and I didn't enjoy it. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, I kept reading about how "custom characters" are a waste because you miss out on all of the banter.

So now I'm on another run through BG2, this time single player, and I've done the circus, freed the slaves (and the boat), cleared out the trolls in the keep, and I'm now in the shadow temple. I did the paladin's quest (felt like a dirt bag for keeping him) and I think a little bit of Anomen's.

In my party is The Paladin (Keldorn?), Minsc (LOL), Mazzy, Jan (OMG), and Anomen. (I'm a sorcerer).

While I find them very interesting and enjoyable, they really don't talk very much - other than when I click them to do something. Or sometimes saying encouraging things, etc.

Where is the banter? They're not talking to me or to each other. Is something wrong? Or am I not being patient enough?

Take Jan with you if you like chatter. I hope you like turnips (and reading)... ?

Seriously though, there isn't all that much talk really, but it's just enough to flesh out the NPC's a bit more. Different NPC's also have different interactions with each other too. For instance, if you take Valygar and Mazzy together, she will dub Valygar her squire! There are other little tidbits too, but I don't want to spoil anything for you.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2021
    Apart from Jan, you get the most dialogue with NPCs that are potential romance options, which would be Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia, Neera or Dorn for a male character and Anomen, Rasaad or Hexxat (Dorn too I think? Don't remember if he's for male only) for a female character.
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • wukewuke Member Posts: 113
    The banters trigger every hour at a low chance IIIRC so it's normal if you don't see many them in a playthrough. Basically the more time you waste on doing nothing, the more you'll see them.
    If you don't mind using "cheat" you can enable debug mode and force the banters to trigger.