Skip to content

So, is it worth playing this version?

I played BG and BG2 20 years ago. I still have the original version and thinking about re-playing this gem.

However, since we have the enhanced version now I'd like to know if I should play this modern version or stick to original version?

If I should try out the enhanced version, are there any tips or things I should know before I start?

Thank you.

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    The games are still awesome.

I was in my attic the other day, and found my original bg games. I had to buy my BG2 game twice, since the first set of disc got worn out by playing.

The EE versions are great and don’t change that much. But to me the iOS versions of the game shine the brightest (Android phone and tablet users probably beg to differ). If you have a tablet, you should try the games out in that format. It’s so relaxing playing the game in a comfortable chair or even lying down.
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    In EE there are many kits that were unavailable in the original games IIRC. For example, fighter kits: Berserker, Kensai, Wizard Slayer as well as Dwarven Defender. ?
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    The EE versions are great and don’t change that much. But to me the iOS versions of the game shine the brightest (Android phone and tablet users probably beg to differ). If you have a tablet, you should try the games out in that format. It’s so relaxing playing the game in a comfortable chair or even lying down.

It's even better with Nintendo Switch imho. ?
  • SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
    Yes I would play the EE version. A lot of minor gamplay improvements over the originals, and it makes the transition between BG1 and BG2 more seamless.

The EE also has extra content in terms of class kits, NPCs, new areas, and the entire Siege of Dragonspear campaign that is supposed to bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2. SoD has a slightly different feel from the other games, and also has some of the most challenging encounters in the saga, but I would give it a chance.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    The single biggest change in the EE version is that BG1 is in the BG2 engine. There are a few folks here and there who dislike that; given that some of the most popular mods on the original BG were Tutu and BGT, to do precisely that, most people were probably fine with it.

If you do want to play the originals, pick up the EE versions from Good Old Games- the CD/DVD versions have issues running on any Windows version in the last decade, while the GOG EEs also come with a version of the originals that successfully installs on modern OSs.
  • MenthurMenthur Member Posts: 4
    Thanks all. I've started with BG1 EE now, and I'm having a blast. Can't actually believe how good the EE version is. All the QoL changes, the new interface, the journal, the map.

Really happy and enjoying myself. Can't wait to finish it and transfer the party over to BG2 EE.