Skip to content

Bag Sort Mod/Tool (categorize+alphabetize items in a bag of holding or any .sto)

ahungryahungry Member Posts: 29
In playing, I tend to have many containers (the bottomless ones, or 999 slots) filled up with hundreds of items.

This obviously becomes a problem when trying to find a specific item; I couldn't find anything when searching for a mod that would organize the contents as described in the title, and when suggesting to the NearInfinity github that it may be a neat feature in that program, was dissuaded from extending it, so I put together this solution for my own usage:

https://github.com/ahungry/bgee-bag-sort/

At the moment it's written in nodejs, so a bit outside the standard BG modding eco-system (but should be cross-OS, although only tested on GNU/Linux, and pretty easy for most to set up node that would like to use it - no npm dependencies are required). I chose this, as I'm pretty familiar with nodejs and the different file formats were available online (references in the source code), and I couldn't find a weidu scripting or AI scripting way to do this (although there probably is one, but just shuffling bytes in a language I'm more familiar with seemed a bit easier than learning all of weidu scripting, having 0 exposure to it).

Would it be worth posting as a perma-link somewhere on this site? (Miscellaneous mods?)

It runs fairly quickly (less than 10 seconds to sort a ~500 item BoH, including uncompressing, sorting, recompressing a sav game file).

As noted in the linked README, back up your .sav game/folder if you plan to try it, however I haven't had any corrupt file issues (but this is only usable on a BGEE/EET install, or whatever else uses the same file formats - I didn't include the file formats/compatability for older versions of IE files).

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @ahungry
    Thankee for making & sharing this mod! May we get some screenshots depicting how this mod works?
  • ahungryahungry Member Posts: 29
    The tool runs from the command line (requires nodejs) - I wish I would have taken some screenshots or made a small gif of my pre and post bag of holding (to show the out of order items, and the sorted items) prior to re-installing a new mod set and losing my save game.

I'll try to make some screenshots as I get enough items in my new play through to warrant the sort :smile: