Skip to content

Expeditions Series (A party-based historical RPG)

energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
tdgrfvd7u1hj.jpeg

There's a sale on Expeditions: Viking and Expeditions: Conquistador on Steam and GOG at the moment, and I thought I'd let people know, because I feel like they are really underappreciated games from a relatively small developer.

For a summary of the main features:
  • RP-heavy
  • Story-driven
  • Party-based
  • Turn-based (possibly a downside for a few of you :sweat_smile:

Conquistador was a bit less fleshed-out, but Expedition: Viking is basically an RP-heavy RPG that really dives into the history of the time. It's fun, because they borrow from real-life history, but they're not bound to it, so the world feels very real, but you're not limited by real-life concerns. You're also given a fair amount of choices, and the various characters and factions react accordingly.

I don't want to spoil the story, but for example, in Vikings, you play the chieftain of a small, at-risk Viking village. You and your huskarls decide to travel West in search of riches to protect your clan, and you can arrive in Britain as a conqueror, trader or diplomat. This was really important for me, because I wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all if I had been forced into the role of a raider.

The developers are currently developing the next game in the series, Expeditions: Rome, if anyone is interested. I'm really excited for it, and (on their discord, at least), the developers are happy to answer questions from the community. Updates about it can be found here:

https://community.expeditionsseries.com/

Comments