Skip to content

BG:EE NPC Kit and Proficiency Randomiser

jaypeejaypee Member Posts: 47
edited January 2023 in BG:EE Mods
Hi all, I've been working on this little mod that will randomise some aspects of the recruitable npcs in BG:EE. I always liked randomisation, it increases the replayability of a game and provides additional challenges and opportunities. Item Randomiser is therefor one of my favourite BG mods, I thought of creating something similar for the BG:EE npcs.

This mod will modify the recruitable BG:EE companions:

- Each new game all unkitted companions will have a random kit assigned (no kit is also an option). Race, alignment and other restrictions apply for kit assignment (aka only a Dwarven Fighter can get the Dwarven Defender kit, etc.). Additionally armor or weapons that are incompatible with the new kit are removed from the inventory.
- Each new game all companions will get random proficiencies assigned. These proficiencies are completely random generated and take their current kit into account. Note that this can sometimes lead to strange combinations (only weaponstyle proficiencies for example)

For kit assignment, following npc's are taken into account:
Ajantis -> Unkitted Paladin, Cavalier, Undead Hunter, Inquisitor
Alora -> Unkitted Thief, Swashbuckler, Assassin, Bounty Hunter, Shadowdancer
Eldoth -> Unkitted Bard, Skald, Blade, Jester
Faldorn -> Unkitted Druid, Shapeshifter, Totemic Druid, Avenger
Garrick -> Unkitted Bard, Skald, Blade, Jester
Imoen -> Unkitted Thief, Swashbuckler, Assassin, Bounty Hunter, Shadowdancer
Kagain -> Unkitted Fighter, Wizard Slayer, Kensai, Barbarian, Dwarven Defender
Khalid -> Unkitted Fighter, Wizard Slayer, Kensai, Barbarian, Berserker
Kivan -> Unkitted Ranger, Beast Master, Archer, Stalker
Minsc -> Unkitted Ranger, Beast Master, Archer, Stalker
Safana -> Unkitted Thief, Swashbuckler, Assassin, Bounty Hunter, Shadowdancer
Shar-Teel -> Unkitted Fighter, Wizard Slayer, Barbarian, Berserker
Skie -> Unkitted Thief, Swashbuckler, Assassin, Bounty Hunter, Shadowdancer

For proficiency assignment all original BG companions are included. The four BG:EE only companions are not automatically included in this release due to technical hurdles.
It seems these npcs do not "exist" at the start of the game. It is possible to randomise their proficiencies once you are in the same area with them. Following commands in the console can be used:
Baeloth -> C:CreateCreature("JP#BAELO")
Dorn -> C:CreateCreature("JP#DORN")
Neera -> C:CreateCreature("JP#NEERA")
Rasaad -> C:CreateCreature("JP#RASAA")

The in-game generation of kits and proficiencies starts when charname leaves Candlekeep and arrives in the Lion's Way area. Imoen will wait with talking to charname until the randomisation is finished. Afterwards she will come to the PC and start her normal dialogue.

Installation
Copy the contents of the zip folder to your Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder. Run setup-bgee_npc_randomiser.exe to install via WEIDU.

Compatibility
I've tested the mod with a BG:EE 2.6 install combined with SCS and BG1NPC project.
In general this version of the mod will not be compatible with any mods that change the default kits/proficiencies of BG:EE companions.
This mod also alters the class script of Imoen1.cre, any mod that alters this script may break this mod.

Future versions
I already have some ideas for future additions:
- Randomise Ranger racial enemies
- Randomise Mage spell picks
- Proficiency randomise "lite": Instead of full randomisation, limit the randomisation to lore friendly and consistent picks (aka no katana dualwielding paladins etc)
- Add support for BG:EE added companions
- Allow seperate randomisation of each aspect (aka only kits, only proficiencies, or both)
- Allow per npc randomisation

Download

github.com

Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Post edited by jaypee on

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Thankee!

May we get this uploaded to GitHub for posterity and discoverability?
  • jaypeejaypee Member Posts: 47
    Endarire wrote: »
    Thankee!

May we get this uploaded to GitHub for posterity and discoverability?

Good idea! I've uploaded it and updated the opening post.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    For the sake of long-term convenience, I recommend changing the GitHub link to just the releases page instead of a specific release, like this: https://github.com/JayP236/bgee_npc_randomiser/releases/

That way, regardless of how many future versions are releases, users are still directed to the same URL.