Skip to content

can't import characters from BG1EE to BG2EE

I have copied every BG1 file under documents including character folder, portrait folder, save folder and sodsave folder. when I start BG2EE I can see he characters but the "ACCEPT" button isn't highlighted. Can anyone please help??

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited January 2022
    you need to go into your documents folder and copy over your character files (.chr) from the characters folder

to do that, go into your game in BG 1 and click on export ( npcs cannot be exported, only characters that you have made can be ) once they have been exported then you can transfer those .chr files ( and .bio files if you wish ) over to the bg2 character folder

then when you make a new bg2 game, when creating a character go to "import" and look for the character that you have exported
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    There are two kinds of import.

First, you can import from a save - a BGEE save, in the BGEE save folder. Copying it over doesn't help at all, because then the game thinks it's a BG2EE save and it's not allowed to import from there. Select save, select party member to import, and finish up the cosmetic details of the character.

Second, you can export your character using the button on the character record screen. This creates a .chr (and .bio) file in the "Characters" folder, and you can import within the same game. BGEE to BGEE, BG2EE to BG2EE. If you want to use this method to import a BGEE character to BG2EE, you need to copy the .chr file over.
  • gator3rdgator3rd Member Posts: 5
    I still can't get it to work. I tried sarevok57's/Jmerry's (second suggestion) way exported each one and copied and pasted both the .chr and the .bio file. when I start a new game, click import, and then click character file, it does show the characters that have copied from the the BG1EE character folder to the BG2EE character folder, i can click on each character and it does turn red, but the ACCEPT button is grayed out and I can't accept them into game. If instead I click on DONE, it takes me back to a previous screen. I think what i need is step by step, line by line directions...sorry I am just not getting it...
    so first of all, you are suppose to click on the "Done" button, and then it brings you to the "voice" screen next, since SoA has different voice sets that BG 1, then you will choose your colors and choose to "rename" your character if you wish and everything should be good to go

so ironically it seems like you were doing it right, you just didn't follow through perhaps by the looks of it
  • gator3rdgator3rd Member Posts: 5
    OK thanks Sarevok57! I was able to get one character imported. however, I can't seem to get the rest? is there a process that needs to happen to get this done?
    gator3rd wrote: »
    OK thanks Sarevok57! I was able to get one character imported. however, I can't seem to get the rest? is there a process that needs to happen to get this done?

depends, only created characters can be exported/imported which means, if you made your own team, you can export/import your entire team

but if you only made your main character and had a party of joinable NPCs, you will not be able to export/import those joinable NPC characters
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The ability to export a character, or import them from a save, is a flag in the character's creature file. By default, all of the characters you create yourself have this flag set to allow, and all of the characters you meet along the way and can recruit have it set to disallow.