Skip to content

What is the best script to use for a kensai whether its a built in script or 1 I have to download?

I am willing to use the scripts that come with the game but if anyone knows of a good place to get better ones I would be much obliged. Also, I'm not a good programmer so I would have no idea where to even start making my own script.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    To be honest, none of them. And it's pretty much impossible to write a script that manages a kensai well. The role you're best suited for is a skirmisher - which means that you're quick to retreat from combat if the enemies start focusing on you, or reposition if there's a juicy target. The only way to handle that is active micromanagement.

In practice, just go with your favorite version of a basic melee attacker. Or ranged attacker, if you're focusing on throwing weapons. You can micromanage on top of that just fine.
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    jmerry wrote: »
    To be honest, none of them. And it's pretty much impossible to write a script that manages a kensai well. The role you're best suited for is a skirmisher - which means that you're quick to retreat from combat if the enemies start focusing on you, or reposition if there's a juicy target. The only way to handle that is active micromanagement.

In practice, just go with your favorite version of a basic melee attacker. Or ranged attacker, if you're focusing on throwing weapons. You can micromanage on top of that just fine.

Thanks for responding
    I was afraid of that... once it becomes a kensai/thief the aggressive thief script would be a good one though right?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Scripts in Baldur's Gate can only take over small parts of your job. Ultimately you will have to do most of the work. The easier the fight, the more you can lean back and let a script do the work.

The HP and physical resistances (in lack of hardiness) of your kensai->thief will still be inferior to dedicated tanks, so they still shouldn't just rush into battle. Not to mention, what you really want to do is to perform backstabs. Those will definitely require your input. First to acquire invisibility of some form (either rushing out of sight and then Hide in Shadows, or else drinking a potion or using one of the rings or whatever) and then to position themself correctly before attacking. In the case of mages, you also want to coordinate your attacks such that your backstab hits right after a Breach.
    I will note at this point that the developers of the game gave up on getting their thieves to get the positioning right. Instead, the enemy is allowed to backstab from every angle. You do not enjoy that luxury. You need to actually stand behind your target.

But as I say this, I may be too anti-script in general to offer you good advice for what you want. That's why I waited for somebody else (in this case jmerry) to say what I was thinking too.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    My usual script choice for a backstabber ... Advanced AI, auto-hide on, auto-attack off. Basically, don't trust the script for any of the actual combat parts. That's all explicit player commands. Pick a target, get behind them, stab for massive damage, then either continue fighting or retreat as circumstances demand. It requires a lot of attention, and as such I won't put more than one dedicated backstabber in a party.
    Or maybe I turn auto-attack on. It varies. And I've still been known to open battles with multiple synchronized backstabs, especially in BG1 - it's a great way of handling Blacktalon Elite groups, for example.
    Scripts in Baldur's Gate can only take over small parts of your job. Ultimately you will have to do most of the work. The easier the fight, the more you can lean back and let a script do the work.

The HP and physical resistances (in lack of hardiness) of your kensai->thief will still be inferior to dedicated tanks, so they still shouldn't just rush into battle. Not to mention, what you really want to do is to perform backstabs. Those will definitely require your input. First to acquire invisibility of some form (either rushing out of sight and then Hide in Shadows, or else drinking a potion or using one of the rings or whatever) and then to position themself correctly before attacking. In the case of mages, you also want to coordinate your attacks such that your backstab hits right after a Breach.
    I will note at this point that the developers of the game gave up on getting their thieves to get the positioning right. Instead, the enemy is allowed to backstab from every angle. You do not enjoy that luxury. You need to actually stand behind your target.

But as I say this, I may be too anti-script in general to offer you good advice for what you want. That's why I waited for somebody else (in this case jmerry) to say what I was thinking too.

Are you saying the Thief aggressive script won't run a kensai/thief decently? The script says: The thief will attempt to Hide In Shadows when an enemy is not in sight. As soon as the Thief is hidden he will attempt to backstab the closest enemy.

Doesn't that just mean i only have to micromanage when he needs pulling out due to low hp?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    edited February 2022
    The "Thief Aggressive" script will run a kensai-thief terribly. When an enemy is in sight, your character will make a bee-line towards that character and attack, whether visible or invisible, and without regard for backstabbing angle.
    That means there will be exactly one chance of a backstab* at the start of the fight. And from then on, your backstabber/skirmisher will act just like a normal fighter, just with inferior stats.

*it's not a good chance, and the target is probably a warrior, rather than one of the spell casters in the back-line.
    Oh, thanks I guess micromanaging it is then... Well, thanks for helping me.