Skip to content

Character has invalid known spells. ELC

I am having an issue where players are unable to log after getting so far with their character build. Both characters are monk/wizard/arcane archer builds.

The log file shows this error on both characters

[Mon Feb 14 19:05:15] Invalid character - player login refused. Character has invalid known spells. Player Name: LOGNAME Player ID: 1 Character: CHARACTERNAME (XXXXXXXX) () ()

Has anyone else had this issue with ELC enabled?

Comments

• 4BOLTMAIN4BOLTMAIN Member Posts: 90
    The player commented that in the spell list there were some BadStreff in some fields but he didn't chose any of those on leveling. He only chose the spells that had the correct name like Magic Missiles, Shield and True Strike.

FYI I am not using any edited spell 2da's or hak's.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    It sounds like the player might be using a 2da override. Because you don't have one in the hak (which would be prioritised over their override) the 2da is letting them make character choices which they by default wouldn't be able to make, therefore failing ELC when the server goes through and checks.

Get the players to make sure they have clean /development and /override folders.
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the reply, so to prevent this from happening could I just place the standard 2da's related to spells in my server override?

Edit: Probably not spells but 2da's related to class leveling.
    Post edited by 4BOLTMAIN on
    The player checked his override folder and had a spells.2da file in there.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    And to be clear, having it in the server's override wouldn't be enough. The server is already using the standard 2da, that's why ELC was failing. The issue is that Level-Up occurs on the player's computer and uses the player's files for reference. The only way to force it as a server is to have the correct spells.2da in a required hak or nwsync - and even then a client 2da in the /development folder would still cause problems.

As a server owner, the only real power comes from telling them that it's their fault and they have to fix it (by removing the offending 2da)