Skip to content

BAMs

Grumnar1982Grumnar1982 Member Posts: 16
Is it possible to just copy/paste BAMs from BG1EE and IWDEE into the BAM or override folder of BG2EE? Or is there a different method? IM pretty sure that they share most of them already, but I was curious if it is possible nonetheless.

Also in the same vein of question, does anyone out there have any BAM files they can share? I am wanting to create some new items, but I do not have the correct BAM files to make them exist.

Examples:
Dragon Scales: As many colors as possible.

I guess another question would be...is it possible to change the color of current BAMs? Like could I change the Red Dragon Scales to Black and save as a new BAM? How would this be accomplished if possible. I have briefly looked at the BAM thing in NI, but am super confused by it, so if that is the tool to use, could someone link me a tutorial on how to do so?

Thanks.

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2022
    When you open a BAM in NI, the Export button has a list to "All frames as graphics" which gives you a bunch of PNG files you can edit in your preferred tool (note that the BAMs will keep their palettes). When you're done with the recolor, you can use NearInfinity->Tools->Convert... BAM Converter to create a new BAM (you can even look at the original to mimic the structure).

Recoloring ain't rocket science in an external tool. Personally I think Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are better than GIMP in this situation because any hueshifting operation on a paletted image results with the formers hueshifting the palette colors, while the latter tries to hueshift in high-color then reconverts the in-memory result to the original palette, leading to color loss.
  • Grumnar1982Grumnar1982 Member Posts: 16
    @GraionDilach

Thank you for your response. I will have to try that.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2022
    Nearinfinity can edit bams. You can change the color gradient and even size of bams with Nearinfinity. Just choose a bam, and click 'edit bam' there are options for different filters/applications to edit the bam. I edit and mix/match bams from iwd and bg games all the time to suit my tastes. It is super easy.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Keep in mind that most of the EE BAMs are BAM V2, which uses PVRZ blocks stored in external files, breaking the artwork after a reinstall/via copying between folders. BAM V1 keeps the pixel data part of the file which allows straightforward reusing.
  • Grumnar1982Grumnar1982 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you both for the responses.