Skip to content

Temple of Elemental Evil and the Mods that Saved it

FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
Hey all,

I recently made a video about Temple of Elemental Evil and some of the very good mods that have made it a far more enjoyable and playable experience.

I know TOEE is that sort of weirder step-cousin of Dungeons & Dragons CRPG's, but I do think it's a game that everyone should give a chance if they can. The combat is absolutely phenomenal.

https://youtu.be/WKijd-anGn8

Comments

• shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    I really wish they had done a better job on the story with this game. Despite the meh storytelling, the relative short game, the bugs and glitches alongside ineffective support from Atari (thank you Co8 for stepping in); I think ToEE implemented the rules and the engine better than any of the BG games. This should probably be in unpopular opinions, also.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    shabadoo wrote: »
    I really wish they had done a better job on the story with this game. Despite the meh storytelling, the relative short game, the bugs and glitches alongside ineffective support from Atari (thank you Co8 for stepping in); I think ToEE implemented the rules and the engine better than any of the BG games. This should probably be in unpopular opinions, also.

Actually not as unpopular as you might think! TOEE has always been pretty renowned for it's combat. It's just everything else that dragged it down.
    It must be my preference for 3.5e, coupled with my grounding in wargaming. I enjoy the roleplaying and a good story, but I'm a wargamer at heart.
  • gazoogazoo Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2022
    I'm curious if Beamdog considered trying to do an upgrade of ToEE.

It seems they had some access to Atari repositories when they tried to find the code for IWD2 (-mentioned by Beamdog in a post). They could probably have a look for the ToEE code, as well.

Beamdog created some new stuff for BGEE...

ToEE is indeed a very good combat engine, especially for 3.5 ... tripping, etc. Much mechanic improvements by modders such as corrected reach weapon behavior and more classes/PRCs. IMHO far better than IE or NWN series implementation for turn-based combat.
    Post edited by gazoo on
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    gazoo wrote: »
    I'm curious if Beamdog considered trying to do an upgrade of ToEE.

It seems they had some access to Atari repositories when they tried to find the code for IWD2 (-mentioned by Beamdog in a post). They could probably have a look for the ToEE code, as well.

Beamdog created some new stuff for BGEE...

ToEE is indeed a very good combat engine, especially for 3.5 ... tripping, etc. Much mechanic improvements by modders such as corrected reach weapon behavior and more classes/PRCs. IMHO far better than IE or NWN series implementation for turn-based combat.

I suppose a TOEE:EE would be dependent on what's lying around. Troika went underwater almost two-decades ago, but it would be interesting to know if the source is out there. Considering that IWD2's is missing, I wouldn't hold out hope that TOEE's is lying around, unfortuantely.
    I read once that the code for ToEE was indeed lost. Many have wanted an updated version, but it will never be.