Skip to content

NWN:EE - Android - custom mods not visible?

FLJerseyBoyFLJerseyBoy Member Posts: 2
edited March 2022 in Technical Support
I've been playing NWN for years and am familiar with the process of installing custom mods. I'm now playing the Android version on a Chromebook. I found procedure to install custom content here:

https://nwn.wiki/display/NWN1/How+to+Install+Custom+Content+to+Neverwinter+Nights:+Enhanced+Edition+on+Your+Android+Device

From the NWN Vault, I grabbed .mod and .hak files for a favorite old mod called "A Harper's Tale." I placed them in the proper subfolders of this folder:

Android > data > com.beamdog.nwnandroid > files > user

...and then, all excited, I fired up to start a new game. But "Harper's Tale" isn't among the options offered:

e3sue6fwd80v.png

(Image shows the Community modules available obviously, but it's not on the Official, Premium, or Local tabs either.)

Am I missing something?

(Aside: "Harper's Tale" doesn't require CEP.) (And obviously I can't use the installer tool -- Android, duh -- so am having to do this "manually.")

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by FLJerseyBoy on

Comments

• gentlebimgentlebim Member Posts: 18
    It never works the way it says it should for me, either. The only way I can get mods to work is by installing them in the data directory. They will work if you install them there, but every time the app updates you have to delete them all and re-install them. =/
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    I have this set up on Android, exactly as stated.

Downloaded modules appear on the Local tab.

The "Community" tab is incorrectly named - it only shows Curated modules (the handful selected for showcasing via NWSync).
    Proleric wrote: »
    I have this set up on Android, exactly as stated.

Downloaded modules appear on the Local tab.

The "Community" tab is incorrectly named - it only shows Curated modules (the handful selected for showcasing via NWSync).

So you have them installed in the user folder? When I install my mods in the user folder, none of them show up in any tab.
    Yes, they're in the user folder, in the correct subfolders - user>modules, user>hak etc.

Never had a problem with it.

Have you updated to the latest release via Google Play? I dimly remember a problem of this sort being fixed by an update, though that might have been Windows.

When you say "mods", do you mean "modules"? Only modules appear in the new game launcher.
    I think I'm fully up to date, but I'll definitely go check. Thanks!
    Yes, they're in the user folder, in the correct subfolders - user>modules, user>hak etc.

Never had a problem with it.

Have you updated to the latest release via Google Play? I dimly remember a problem of this sort being fixed by an update, though that might have been Windows.

When you say "mods", do you mean "modules"? Only modules appear in the new game launcher.

Do you happen to remember if you had to alter your ini file in any way to make the modules show up? I just uninstalled and re-downloaded a fresh copy from the play store (completely deleted all other folders before reinstalling). STILL nothing shows up in any tab. I don't know what the actual f*ck the deal is, but I can ONLY play modules if I install them into the data directory. Which is no good because any update screws them up and I have to rinse and repeat. Super frustrating.
    No, I never did anything clever.

The ini file has lines like this by default:
    MODULES=/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.beamdog.nwnandroid/files/user/modules

As you say,installing in data is just wrong, and may cause other issues.

Grasping at straws, I guess you already tried rebooting after the download? I find file visibility on Android a bit flakey, though never on NWN.
    No, I never did anything clever.

The ini file has lines like this by default:
    MODULES=/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.beamdog.nwnandroid/files/user/modules

As you say,installing in data is just wrong, and may cause other issues.

Grasping at straws, I guess you already tried rebooting after the download? I find file visibility on Android a bit flakey, though never on NWN.

I did. I also have full file visibility (as far as I know). I do it all through a USB on my PC. Man, this is terrible. =(
    edited April 2022
    @FLJerseyBoy I have the answer! Get ready to feel as dumb as I did when I figured it out. LOL.
    The folder MUST be named "modules". I had mine named "mod" because that's what it was on my PC install, but the ini specifies the folder path name as "modules". I changed the folder name and *poof*! The mods show up!
    Hope it works for you, too, man!
    Post edited by gentlebim on
  • TronmechTronmech Member Posts: 9
    You should be able to manage content completely on the mobile device instead of needing to use a PC. I know that Android makes that a bit of a challenge, but I want to (without rooting my tablet, which would break my ability to use it for work) be able to download and copy content to local storage and use it without having to use a PC.
    Tronmech wrote: »
    You should be able to manage content completely on the mobile device instead of needing to use a PC. I know that Android makes that a bit of a challenge, but I want to (without rooting my tablet, which would break my ability to use it for work) be able to download and copy content to local storage and use it without having to use a PC.

You totally can. I just hate doing it. I find it easier to drag and drop from my PC to my phone rather than navigating back and forth a bazillion times.
    I THINK all you need is a file browser app that can unzip and have permissions to all the folders.
    On Android you probably also need the RAR app or similar to unpack .rar and .7z archives.

I did it all on Android to prove it could be done, but, really, a usb-connected PC is sooo much eaiser.
    On Android you probably also need the RAR app or similar to unpack .rar and .7z archives.

I did it all on Android to prove it could be done, but, really, a usb-connected PC is sooo much eaiser.

Exactly. Also, I can keep copies of all my modules on my external hard drive, too.
  • FLJerseyBoyFLJerseyBoy Member Posts: 2
    Update: as suggested by @gentlebim above, my problem was in misnaming the folder where modules are kept -- it should be modules, not mod.

..and as @Proleric suggested, you also have to look in the Local tab, once you've got everything downloaded and correctly unzipped and placed in folders. I had previously ignored that tab because, well, a community-provided module should "obviously" be in the Community tab, right? :D

Thanks so much for all the help, folks!