Skip to content

Thieves, crossbows and UAI

If I give my thief a point in crossbows and he later obtains Use Any Item, does this mean that if he uses a heavy crossbow in combat after this, he will not incur any penalties for non-proficiency?

Thanks

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    This is true.. but by the time you get UAI.. you don't need heavy crossbows.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    The same principle applies to bards and composite longbows by the way, which is arguably a bit more useful.

The problem with longbows is that the most powerfully enchanted longbows have bonuses to Thac0 as their main strength.

But it's almost exclusively warrior classes who can use longbows, and they've already got Thac0 to spare.

Bards on the other hand, despite their robust weapon options have the second worst thac0 out of the playable classes. Some equipment to juice their hit rate might actually be quite welcome, though you'd still have to weigh it against the benefits of the other weapon options.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Bards and thieves would still need the required strength to use either I suppose…but it’s worth thinking about I guess
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Perhaps a great roleplay opportunity :) S/he becomes skilled in crossbows and as the thief progresses in power he decides to also tinker/train with the larger siege breaker and sharpshooter crossbows.