Skip to content

NWN EE: Poor performance, stuttering, freezing

I had managed to play through all of tyrants of moosea with no issues, so felt something else must have been causing issues
It seems a windows update recently caused issues in games and removing so far has increased stability
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-recent-windows-10-update-is-trashing-framerates-and-causing-games-to-stutter/

Comments

• Emardon_LareousEmardon_Lareous Member Posts: 60
    Vista compatibility mode seems to help a bit too, removes some of the long freezes
    What seems to have completely fixed the long freezes when opening the UI etc was to buy a cheap soundcard (soundblaster audigy fx) and set the sound to max 3d on the scale. I can open the inventory with impunity now without prolonged pauses. I was using realtek and upgrading fixed a few games
  • GenisysGenisys Member Posts: 37
    I have had Zero issues other than when working with the new tilesets in the toolset...

I think perhaps coding issues may cause some of it, but after I recoded POA zero issues so far!
    edited May 2022
    Still no luck with the compiled version of of hd pack from neverwinter vault
    Post edited by Emardon_Lareous on
  • ElGrilloElGrillo Member Posts: 11
    The HD pack uses a large number of relatively high rez PLTs for textures. Unfortunately NWN's engine is rubbish at dealing with PLTs. They are processed on the CPU in a highly inefficient way, it seems. We are hoping against hope that Beamdog will do an update that fixes PLT processing someday. In the meantime, at some point someone may get around to downscaling some of the PLTs in the HD pack.

Those who have a CPU from the most recent generation seem to not experience the stuttering the rest of us get, but that's cold consolation for 99% of users!
    ElGrillo wrote: »
    The HD pack uses a large number of relatively high rez PLTs for textures. Unfortunately NWN's engine is rubbish at dealing with PLTs. They are processed on the CPU in a highly inefficient way, it seems. We are hoping against hope that Beamdog will do an update that fixes PLT processing someday. In the meantime, at some point someone may get around to downscaling some of the PLTs in the HD pack.

Those who have a CPU from the most recent generation seem to not experience the stuttering the rest of us get, but that's cold consolation for 99% of users!

I've contemplated a new PC for a while, but was waiting to see what next gen games would come out before upgrading :-P Although with all the well written stories for NWN it would be nice to play it through with all the hard work beamdog has put in included. if we get optional party control one day it would become a sensation overnight