Skip to content

Chapter 7 bug

OpizzeOpizze Member Posts: 3
Chapter seven bug

Sooooo I came out of the catacombs, I wasn’t ready to take out Sarevok, and I mosied around doing Durlags Tower and AecLetec only to find I’m somehow on chapter 8 and I can’t trigger anything or anyone in Baldurs Gate to start the final quest line. I’m poking around my save in EEKeeper but have no idea wtf I’m doing. I see the number next to Tethorils name is 41743 (that looks odd). Any insight from anyone?

Edit: to add to this I got a weird bug where I had the Siege of Dragonspear dream about killing that main antagonist character, the big guy. I don’t know if I should be spoiling it for whoever or not. At the time I really didn’t think anything of it even though I haven’t got there yet, so the game has in someway places me beyond that quest or something??? I have no idea what happened. I haven’t killed him yet and haven’t even got any of the related quests in bg yet
Post edited by Opizze on

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Most of the stuff in the chapter 7 plot specifically checks for the chapter number. Which is stored in the global "CHAPTER" variable. Somehow, things glitched and the game incremented the chapter when it shouldn't have. Setting that variable back to 7 where it's supposed to be might fix things.

That SoD dream ... probably another chapter check.

The global "Tethtoril" variable is a timer, set when you first talk to him in the prologue. And "41743" means that it expired shortly after 9 AM on day zero. Timer variables always have big numbers like that.
  • OpizzeOpizze Member Posts: 3
    You’re the man. I’ll go through the variables on that main character and check that one, and make sure it is set to seven. I had a full party of self made characters, so I’m guessing that might have something to do with it as well. I shouldn’t have to check all of them, should I? The main character was the one in the dream, so I assume it starts and ends with him
  • OpizzeOpizze Member Posts: 3
    jmerry wrote: »
    Most of the stuff in the chapter 7 plot specifically checks for the chapter number. Which is stored in the global "CHAPTER" variable. Somehow, things glitched and the game incremented the chapter when it shouldn't have. Setting that variable back to 7 where it's supposed to be might fix things.

That SoD dream ... probably another chapter check.

The global "Tethtoril" variable is a timer, set when you first talk to him in the prologue. And "41743" means that it expired shortly after 9 AM on day zero. Timer variables always have big numbers like that.

This worked, thank you so much.

• HamburgerHamburger Member Posts: 3
    That's because there was a chapter 8. This was achieved by game choices made. The main one being not flooding the mines. Killing Sarevok didn't end the game in 1989 if you roleplayed, by not mass murdering, or changing your ways. They had a character that would show up to warn you at some point. These files seem to have been excluded, lost to time, or algorithm killed by bug fixes.
  • HamburgerHamburger Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I'm really old. I meant 1998.
  • HotheonHotheon Member Posts: 19
    Opizze wrote: »
    Chapter seven bug

Sooooo I came out of the catacombs, I wasn’t ready to take out Sarevok, and I mosied around doing Durlags Tower and AecLetec only to find I’m somehow on chapter 8 and I can’t trigger anything or anyone in Baldurs Gate to start the final quest line. I’m poking around my save in EEKeeper but have no idea wtf I’m doing. I see the number next to Tethorils name is 41743 (that looks odd). Any insight from anyone?

Edit: to add to this I got a weird bug where I had the Siege of Dragonspear dream about killing that main antagonist character, the big guy. I don’t know if I should be spoiling it for whoever or not. At the time I really didn’t think anything of it even though I haven’t got there yet, so the game has in someway places me beyond that quest or something??? I have no idea what happened. I haven’t killed him yet and haven’t even got any of the related quests in bg yet

I have this same problem but I am using the XBOX console and there is no way to fix it. I tried reinstalling it. Guess it's unplayable now.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Do you have an older save you can go back to? If not, starting over from the beginning will probably work. I really don't have any explanation for why the chapter would increment improperly other than a glitch which is unlikely to repeat.
  • HotheonHotheon Member Posts: 19
    jmerry wrote: »
    Do you have an older save you can go back to? If not, starting over from the beginning will probably work. I really don't have any explanation for why the chapter would increment improperly other than a glitch which is unlikely to repeat.

I bought the game(s) (for the 4th time overall by my count: XBOX, original back in the 90s, DL the EE -forgot account info, DL again) on the PC platform, I think I will try modding finally. As low tech and anti-stress/hassle as I am. I am willing to try to get cap removed for my F/M/T runs and maybe a few others if I get the hang of it.

Shame, I really just liked firing up the console and playing, no muss no fuss. Now I have mess with HDMI to my big screen from my laptop and a wireless keyboard to relax in my favorite chair. Woe!