Skip to content

Community? (Modules)

I have a few questions about the newer (for me) Community tab for NWNEE. 1- Is this in an alpha stage of development? 2- Is this tab only available for players that use Steam? 3-Where exactly are the files that I downloaded located on my computer?

I spent a decent amount of time downloading all of the campaigns and modules in this Community tab, but have no idea where they are stored. Before anyone suggests it, 704450 folder doesn't exist on my computer. I'm familiar with the Vault, but was, otherwise, avoiding the Steam Workshop due to all of the horror stories that I've read about it. Very early in, I'm having some issues with modules listed in this mysterious Community tab, such as missing portraits. I thought that I'd try to transfer the appropriate files to the correct folders in Neverwinter Nights folder, but I'm not finding the files anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    The Community tab is a misnomer. It has only a small selection of modules, such as Aielund Saga, whose authors have been invited by Beamdog to use the official launcher. On the forums, they are described as "curated" modules. These modules and their files are downloaded automatically when launched (to the nwsync subfolder in Documents, if you ever need to know).
    1- Is this in an alpha stage of development?
    No. It's in the Retail release (hence not Development, Beta or Alpha).
    No one in the community knows whether NWN:EE will be developed any further.
    2- Is this tab only available for players that use Steam?
    No. AFAIK it's available on all platforms - certainly Windows (wherever purchased) and Android.
    3-Where exactly are the files that I downloaded located on my computer?
    They're in the nwsync folder, but you may not be able to extract them.

If you're having problems, remember that all the "curated" modules can also be downloaded from the Vault. Alternatively, you can use the Vault page to contact the author.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    @Proleric: Thank you (always) for the replies. I've since, also, come across a thread that you'd created at the Steam forums that discusses much of this. I'm always rather behind when it comes to keeping up with modern technology, but it's sounding like it might not be a simple matter of extracting the content from the SQLITE3 files into the correct folders? I was reading here at these forums that @Savant hasn't had any access to his own content since April? I'm somewhat familiar with the Vault, but is there anything else that I might do on my end to not have regularly missing content from these SQLITE3 files in my games?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited July 2022
    I don't really know much about the curated module set up, since only a few builders were invited to join.

NWVault + NIT is pretty reliable, though.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Just in case you're not aware of what NIT is or where to get it, here's the link -

Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool - NIT

FWIW, NIT was created by and is managed by and maintained (eg updated) by @Surazal. In other words it is an active project and very stable. The only downside is that it is Windows only unless you use something such as wine on linux.

TR
    Thank you both for the suggestions.

I recall my NWN Diamond experience being fairly uncomplicated, overall. I had a different computer with a reasonably large C drive and was able to keep everything in default locations. Installing custom content from the Vault never seemed daunting.

This latest experience with NWNEE, however, has been a nightmare. Mostly due to my ineptness with keeping up with modern technology, no doubt. By default, the nwn.ini was set to my OneDrive location. I've never used OneDrive, so that was an entirely new experience. I didn't care for how it seemed to randomly delete items, not only from OneDrive, but, also, from my computer. I lost all of my photos, for instance. Anyhow, with a considerably smaller C drive, I ended up creating yet another Neverwinter Nights folder in my D drive and thought that I edited the nwn.ini appropriately. Apparently not, as syncing was often a problem.

I ended up completely deleting NWNEE and everything related this morning, reinstalled it, and am giving NIT another go. I was pretty lost with my first attempt of using NIT (and still am), but I'm taking things at a much slower pace this round. I'm in the process of reading up on NIT, as I'm still unsure where it will store content, but I'm hoping for a consistent and stable experience this time. My nwn.ini file still is still showing OneDrive for the location.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @merricksdad created a video to show you how to use NIT. It is linked to on NIT's project page. This is a direct link to it -

How to Use Neverwinter Nights Module Installer Tool (NIT)

With a bit of luck, that should help (hopefully).

TR
    @TarotRedhand ; @Proleric

Thank you both! I ended up reinstalling NWN Diamond (GOG) and NWN2, too. NWN2 won't be related here, but I have read some comments from players that use both NWNEE and NWN Diamond that use the same folder location for both games. I've asked at the Vault's NIT page if this is recommended. I'll be sure to take a look at that link before installing anything, too. Thank you again.
    edited July 2022
    @Surazal @Proleric @TarotRedhand

I'm thinking that OneDrive and NWNEE's default connection with it are messing with me pretty hard. I had reinstalled everything, reinstalled NIT, and followed instructions to change the default folder location (set to OneDrive for whatever apparent reason). All of the folders and paths looked to align correctly, but when I launch NWNEE from NIT, Steam, or just from clicking desktop icon, none of the modules that I've moved and installed are showing in the Local tab. The campaigns and modules in the Community tab are all showing as playable now, but god knows what's going to go wrong with them now, as they're all mysteriously buried in SQLITE3 files, which no one appears to know how they work. Where it had all appeared to be aligned correctly, now the nwn.ini file in the default OneDrive location is all set to that default location again. Everything that I've done via NIT still appears to have the correct folders, paths, and the nwn.ini file there is set correctly. Where am I going wrong, though? And can anyone tell me (in the simplest terms) how to correct it, please?

Edit:
    It's very likely to invade my computer and start randomly deleting and changing things again, but I managed to deactivate OneDrive. I was also able to delete the NWNEE NIT Profile that was linking to it and created a new profile. For unknown reasons, the default nwn.ini was still set to path to OneDrive. If anyone is curious and has similar issues with OneDrive invading their world, I deleted that nwn.ini file in the default location and copied over the nwn.ini file that NIT had created in my D drive. Everything appears to be working properly now and the pathing and folders all seem to work.

As far as the original topic here goes, I'm at a loss for words. No one, including the campaign and module creators, seems to know how to access all of the content that is stored in these three SQLITE3 files. Is any of the content that is stored in these files obtainable at all?
    Post edited by Jidokwon on