Skip to content

How do you take screenshots?

Really sorry if this is a silly question, but when I press Print Scr the resulting screenshot is of a Beamdog logo instead of whatever is on my screen.

I use the GoG version of the game. Any way to take a screenie?

Cheers!

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    If you hit the print scr button on your keyboard it should create a screenshot in your documents/icewind dale enhanced edition/scrnshot folder
    jackjackJuliusBorisovmement0
  • WoodManWoodMan Member Posts: 10
    Thanks! Hehe, I was pressing Print Scr then trying to paste into Photoshop, that was giving the Beamdog logo, but the real screenshots did in fact save to the location you mention!

Cheers!
    elminsterjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Here are a few screenshots. The first one is for your amusement - I got this by hitting Print Screen. I had to quit the game and come back. I'm guessing this is the Intel chip problem. Doesn't normally occur, though.

This is the resolution I'm playing at, with Nearest Neighbour on. The size is the widescreen equivalent of 800 x 600, which is what I want, or a little farther out. It looks OK, but a little blurry.

The same with Nearest Neighbour off:

And this is how the game looks with NN off and zoomed in to about 640 x 480:

So do you people have any useful suggestions? What do you do? Does your image scale with your monitor resolution in windowed mode? I tried running the game windowed at a low monitor resolution, but I only got a slightly larger version of the same scale in the game window.

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    chimeric said:

Here are a few screenshots.

So do you people have any useful suggestions? What do you do? Does your image scale with your monitor resolution in windowed mode? I tried running the game windowed at a low monitor resolution, but I only got a slightly larger version of the same scale in the game window.

I think you mentioned in the other thread that this is an older laptop? Have you updated to the latest OEM video drivers? Are you using the latest DirectX?

Do you have an external video port where you could connect an external monitor?
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    My first screenshot doing a Mellisan/Amelyssan run (what if she started killing the bhaalspawn out of candlekeep and taking their essence...Starting her as cleric LE and wanted to try Helm and will dual her to mage probly close to end of SOD - ALso my first BWS.Modded run!

• SamAshenSamAshen Member Posts: 84

I found it. Thanks! I will try to paste it.

• SamAshenSamAshen Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2022
    a1x5a03p9i2q.png

Are there limits to how many images can be uploaded?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I think there may be a per-post limit; I cut my playthrough parts so they have no more than fifty or so pictures each, and I had trouble once or twice in the past before I instated that limit. But it's pretty large, and there's definitely no meaningful cumulative limit. My current playthrough thread has nearly two thousand pictures in it so far, for example.

For me (Mac/GoG), I'm using the system's built-in screenshot function Cmd-Shift-3 (or Cmd-Shift-4 to capture part of the screen). That generates a screenshot in a standard location, which I've set to be a "Raw Screenshots" folder I created. The screenshot is a .png file exactly representing what's on the screen, or in the boxed subset of the screen.
    There does not appear to be an in-game screenshot action - at least, it's not in the "Assign Keys" menu.
    Most screenshots I take are while the game is paused; I've set the graphics option so that doesn't gray out the scenery.

I also do some post-processing on the pictures to reduce their size before I post them; a 300 KB .jpg file is a lot friendlier on download speeds than the raw 6 MB .png file my computer saved. You don't need advanced tools for that; I just use my Mac's built-in Preview application to do the conversion. (PNG is a lossless format which does not apply any meaningful compression to something that looks like a screenshot. JPEG is a lossy compression format, optimized for pictures that look like photos or traditional screenshots.)
    Also, in some cases, I splice pictures together - generally, dialogue shots. That's a bit more advanced than exporting to a different format, but still possible in Preview.

Another tip - if you've uploaded a picture once and saved the code, you can use that code to embed the image in another post without uploading the picture again. I'm planning to do this soon with the final post of my current playthrough thread, flashing back to pictures from previous parts. Which just means copying the code for them, and since I've saved a text copy of my posts I can do that offline while writing the post.