Skip to content

Toolset Experience? Tales Both Good & Bad

ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
Just starting a casual thread about your perceived experience with Aurora?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been at it since Neverwinter's inception. I still find myself learning daily, however. I have just recently (about a year ago) fired up the toolset after a fifteen-year hiatus and am having the time of my life. Yeah toolset!
Coding is an impediment for me, but I am learning. Perhaps one day I'll actually have a mod for you good peeps to sample.
Anyhow, come all and spew forth grand tales of elation, or dismal yarns of times rather left unsaid... B)>:)o:)
Post edited by Zephirius on

Comments

• TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    I was late to the game - didn't have a PC to run NWN until 2005ish. I played a couple PWs and slowly started to realize what the toolset could do. I failed two consecutive semesters of computer science back in 1997 at university - the first was in Pascal, the second in C++. Apparently, I learned more than I thought because a decade later I realized that I could decipher scripts and have gotten pretty comfortable scripting all sorts of crap in the game. I worked on a PW for a while but finally wanted to put all my ideas to work on something all my own.

Fast forward 10 years and I've off-and-on built a module. The toolset is a great creative outlet and the scripting side of it and figuring out how to do what I want has given my life a problem-solving outlet that my job certainly does not. I have stepped away to do other things and play other games but the itch to get in and build, write, imagine, etc always comes back!

I too hope to have a mod to share. I've played in it for years and it's fun (currently 80-90% done with many hours of gameplay). It started with a map, like the ones my friends and I used to draw with colored pencils circa 1990 when we first bought AD&D 2nd Ed books with our paper route money. I didn't have much of a plan then, and certainly no plot or story in mind, but as I envisioned who lived there and what happened, a story emerged. Some of the most fun I've had was after I had built a bunch of areas, NPCs, monsters, and places and sat down to figure out what tied them all together. Given the constraints of what already existed, I sort of blew my own mind when I realized what must've happened. Almost like someone else had already written the story, but I had just pieced it together for myself.

Anyway, I hope to finalize this thing and get it out.