Skip to content

Baldur's Gate EE games (Steam Versions) will not launch after I disconnected my second monitor.

Hello all,
I am looking to get some assistance with an issue I have been dealing with regarding Baldur's Gate EE and Baldur's Gate II EE (Steam Versions). I have played MANY hours of Baldur's Gate EE 1&2 on my current laptop as I Work on the road and the Baldur's gate games are my most favorite games, however after my home desktop's chipset was corrupted by a manufacturer released update I was forced to play games on my laptop even at home. I hooked up my desktop monitor (a Sanyo LCD Flat-screen Display) to my laptop so that I would have a larger viewing area than my laptops' monitor, the game launched fine and I played many hours. The problem came When I once again took my laptop with me while travelling. Upon trying to launch Baldur's Gate 2 EE from steam I received an error message and the launch failed. The error message gave no error code or information other than that it created a dump file. I am unable to open the dump file with any of my currently installed software. When I once again returned home I tried again and received the same error. Upon hooking my second monitor back up the game launches normally but when it is disconnected the game fails to launch. I have followed all Windows, Nvidia, Steam and Beamdog troubleshooting steps for launch errors to no avail.

My windows and graphics driver are all completely updated. The System hardware/software configuration is as follows: Dell G15, Windows 10 Home (64-bit), 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 16GB DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    This will be weird.

Apparently the integrated screen of this laptop sounds great. Atleast statwise. I don't have access to monitors of that quality, but I can even imagine that this monitor (although this isn't documented well in the specifications) runs in 10 bit depth, or in a different image mode.

Could you please plug in your other monitor, open Display settings, look at Advanced Display Settings and then compare the two monitor's stats? You might be able to force the monitor down from sRGB mode to plain RGB mode (atleast that's what my monitors are running in, I'm not sure if the claimed 100% sRGB claim in the spec makes a difference there).

An alternative option is to attempt DirectX instead of OpenGL (selecting the alternative graphics renderer in the graphics settings).