Skip to content

Shroud of the Unproved Main character "has nothing to say to you" BUG

GilouGilou Member Posts: 3
Hi! When I put my hand in the idol's mouth to ask the questions, I get a message in red saying that: "Main character" has nothing to say to you. The questions don't display and I can't solve the riddle and finally open the door. What should I do? is it a bug? See attached my save file

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The way that thing works, mechanically: the script creates an invisible creature and tells player 1 to talk to it. A bit backwards from the usual plan of having the other creature initiate, but it normally works.

Matters are complicated here by your decision to upload only part of the save (you should zip the whole folder), but the .SAV is at least the part that contains the area file; I can look up the status of that invisible creature and the variables controlling its dialogue. That part of things seems to be in order; you appear to have already talked to the statue at least once. What about player 1? That, I can't say anything about. Player 1's data is in a different part of the save that you didn't upload. No diagnosis made.
  • GilouGilou Member Posts: 3
    I understand, Here is the complete folder. I hope is helping.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited November 2022
    ... OK. Nothing wrong in the character data that I can see. Looking closer at the dialogue ... aha. I think I've got it.

The main variable that controls the face's dialogue is OHH_STONEFACE, local to the area OH7200. That starts at zero, and becomes 1 during the dialogue. Once you solve the riddle, it increases to 2. Pretty straightforward stuff. It's at 1 in your save.

The face also needs a variable for the name it refers to you by. You can give the face your real name or a fake. That variable is local to the invisible creature that does the dialogue, and is defined at the same time as OHH_STONEFACE, when you give the face a name. In your save ... there is no variable here. The face doesn't have a name to refer to you by, and thus it can't continue its dialogue.

So, how did this happen? Well, the dialogue lets you stonewall the face for a while. And a couple of points in the dialogue let things slip through.

First, at the first "Answer now or return from whence you came" prompt asking for your name (state 1), you can reply "That is no concern of yours". This sets the OHH_STONEFACE variable to 1 without setting a name variable. Then it dumps you to state 2, another "Answer now or return from whence you came" prompt. That state is also accessible from the "Why do you ask?" response, which doesn't set OHH_STONEFACE.

Second, you can say "That is no concern of yours" again at this second "Answer now or return from whence you came" prompt. The other responses either give a name or loop back to state 2, but this repeated "no concern" line sends you to state 4: "Answer my questions, <GABBER>, and prove yourself worthy. Four hakima predicted the birth of the Great Prophet. What are their names?"
    State 4 requires OHH_STONEFACE to be 1, and also OHH_charname (the variable set if you give the face your real name) to be 1. Without that name variable set, the dialogue terminates.

And at this point, you're stuck. If you try to talk again, the only valid starting points for the dialogue require either OHH_STONEFACE to be zero or a name to be set. With no valid starting points, the dialogue doesn't happen.

This is a repeatable bug. I'm reporting it to the EE Fixpack now. As a temporary measure, here's a command you can use with the in-game debug console to reset the face to its initial state and get the dialogue right.
    C: SetGlobal("OHH_STONEFACE","OH7200",0)
    Post edited by jmerry on
  • GilouGilou Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jmerry,

With the line command in the Debug Console, it's now working! wow! damn...i was stress with the possibility to start from the beginning cause we cannot decide to just leave the location and go somewhere else. Thanks again for your prompt response! (and sorry for my english. I am normally a french speaking)

:)