Skip to content

Thought on Tymora's Melody

newguynewguy Member Posts: 31
Getting ready to start a playthrough and was thinking of taking a bard (never had one before). I'm looking over the vanilla bard songs, and I can see the value of the War Chant of the Sith, but I can't help wondering if it's really that much better than Tymora's Melody.

When I played BG2, I was more worried about my players getting stunned, confused, feared, etc. than I was with a little extra damage. So it seems like a +3 to saving throws (not to mention the +1 to luck) would be more valuable.

On the other hand, maybe the +2 AC and 2hp/round is more potent/impactful than I am envisioning.

Or maybe it's purely situational.

I'm looking to learn, not to argue. :)
Post edited by newguy on

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Depends on what you need really. The Warchant of Sith is great to sing after a battle for the passive healing but during the battle it really depends on what you're fighting. The extra AC, and healing would be great against tougher opponents, but Tymora's Melody would be pretty good against trash mobs or enemy casters with the extra damage provided by luck, and the bonus to saves. I also like Tymora's Melody to help my rabbit familiar disarm traps a little better (I don't like to bring thieves into my frigid adventure).
  • newguynewguy Member Posts: 31
    I guess I'm thinking about battles like a dragon or something like Kangax....would not Tymora's Melody be best for those?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    There is no save against Imprisonment so no song would help against Kangaxx. Against a dragon Tymora would definitely help more.
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    I often will use Tymora's when fully healed and buffed and trying to do max damage. If a couple characters are under Improved Haste, the increased chance to critical hit per attack can be very impactful.

One thing to remember is that War Chant also gives 10% resistance to physical damage. This works very will with Dwarven Defenders, Barbarians, and Armor of Faith. So situationally, War Chant may also give a bigger benefit if trying to raise a tank's damage resistance. If using a Dwarven Defender and expecting to use Defensive Stance, I will always use War Chant.
    Aerich wrote: »
    I often will use Tymora's when fully healed and buffed and trying to do max damage. If a couple characters are under Improved Haste, the increased chance to critical hit per attack can be very impactful.

One thing to remember is that War Chant also gives 10% resistance to physical damage. This works very will with Dwarven Defenders, Barbarians, and Armor of Faith. So situationally, War Chant may also give a bigger benefit if trying to raise a tank's damage resistance. If using a Dwarven Defender and expecting to use Defensive Stance, I will always use War Chant.

Interesting point, hadn't thought of that angle.