Skip to content

[BG EE] [Steam] Crashes during save or loading map

GeoffroyGeoffroy Member Posts: 3
edited December 2022 in Troubleshooting
Greetings,
I have two crashes in the game and I could use some help: I am in chapter one, I play without any problem, but as soon as I make a quick save (with Q) a new save through the game menu, the game crashes.
The same thing happens when I leave a zone, I arrive on the map, and when I click on a destination to reach, the game crashes too.
I have uninstalled the game, reinstalled it, tried to recover the cloud saves, nothing happens.
I don't have a crazy PC, but the configuration makes it run very well:
Windows 10, Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz , 16GB ram and gforce gt710 with directX 12
Ram test ok, and graphics card driver ok, I confess I'm out of ideas.
Anybody have a solution please? :'(
Thanks in advance

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Traveling on the map to a new zone forces an autosave, so this is probably all the same thing. The game is crashing on you when it tries to save.

Though ... there's one save before you can travel on the world map. On finishing the cutscenes when you leave Candlekeep, the game creates a save for chapter 1. Does that save work, or does it crash too?

One possibility I'm thinking about - disk permissions. If the game doesn't have permission to write to wherever the saves are going, that would break things.
  • GeoffroyGeoffroy Member Posts: 3
    when I leave Candlekeep and I arrive at the first zone I have no problem.
    It's when I go to the second zone, just before arriving at the friendly arm inn that I have these problems.
    I tried a manual and quick save just before, nothing to do.
    And when I click on a zone of the map to advance the game crashes.
    I even tried to recover steam saves in case mine were corrupted, but it still crashes.
    I confess that I do not understand...

• GeoffroyGeoffroy Member Posts: 3
    jmerry wrote: »
    Traveling on the map to a new zone forces an autosave, so this is probably all the same thing. The game is crashing on you when it tries to save.

Though ... there's one save before you can travel on the world map. On finishing the cutscenes when you leave Candlekeep, the game creates a save for chapter 1. Does that save work, or does it crash too?

One possibility I'm thinking about - disk permissions. If the game doesn't have permission to write to wherever the saves are going, that would break things.

ok I found the solution.
    it was the ransomware protection option of windows defender, which, once activated, prevents the game from writing to documents (saves).
    you just have to deactivate the ransomware protection and the game doesn't crash anymore when saving or going to a city on the map.
    Thx fore the help