Skip to content

[MOD] Misc kits: Kensaizerker, Monastery Swordsman, Jesterblade (v2.8)

Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 124
edited April 4 in General Modding
I decided to make a kit mod. This isn't it, but these are kits I made for practice, as well as to figure out how I wanted to organize the install folder/files. Compatible with EEs and classic BG2 engine.

GitHub: https://github.com/D2-mods/Misc-kits
Download: https://github.com/D2-mods/Misc-kits/releases
Languages: English, French (JohnBob)

v2.8 update: revised Monastery Swordsman kit.

--

Kits
  • Kensaizerker (fighter) - EE and classic
  • Monastery Swordsman (monk) - EE only
  • Jesterblade (bard) - EE and classic

Config.ini
  • Set a kit to = 0 to prevent install

--

Descriptions
  • Kensaizerker (Fighter)
KENSAIZERKER: A variant of the kensai, or "sword saint", this warrior is in tune with <PRO_HISHER> animalistic side and, during combat, can achieve an ecstatic state of mind that will enable <PRO_HIMHER> to fight longer, harder, and more savagely than any person has a right to.

Advantages:
– +2 bonus to Armor Class.
– +1 to attack and damage rolls every 3 levels.
– -1 bonus to Speed Factor every 4 levels.
– May use the Enrage ability. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 4 levels thereafter.

ENRAGE: For 1 turn, the character gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, a +2 bonus to Armor Class, and immunity to charm, confusion, fear, feeblemind, hold, imprisonment, level drain, maze, stun, and sleep. The character also gains 15 temporary Hit Points which are taken away at the end of the berserk spree, possibly knocking <PRO_HIMHER> unconscious.

Disadvantages:
– Becomes winded after berserking: -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage, and Armor Class.
– May not wear any armor.
– May not use missile weapons.
– May not wear gauntlets or bracers.
– Alignment restricted to any non-lawful.

• Monastery Swordsman (Monk)
MONASTERY SWORDSMAN: Monks are warriors who pursue perfection through contemplation as well as action. Among them are a subset that have been specially trained to be one with their favored weapons. This Monk's best known feat is the ability to sever an opponent with a single strike.

Advantages:
– May achieve Grand Mastery (five slots) in any weapon available to Monks.
– May place 2 slots in Single Weapon Style and 3 slots in Two-Weapon Style.
– +1 to attack and damage rolls at 3rd level and an additional +1 bonus every 5 levels thereafter.
– Gains ki points, which are used to activate kit abilities. Gains 1 ki point every 3 levels, up to a maximum of 10 points at level 30.
– 3rd level: May use the Element—Fire, Element—Wind, and Element—Moon abilities. Each requires 1 ki point.

ELEMENT—FIRE/WIND/MOON: For 4 rounds, each successful melee attack deals an extra 2d6 fire, slashing, or magic damage. Only one element can be in effect at a time.

– 13th level: May use the Sever ability. Requires 1 ki point.

SEVER: A single deadly strike. The next successful attack within 2 rounds forces the target to make a save vs. Death at -2 or die. An opponent that survives the attack still suffers 5d6 slashing damage.

Disadvantages:
– Unarmed attacks do not gain extra Attacks Per Round bonuses.
– May not use the Stunning Blow ability.
– May not use the Quivering Palm ability.
– May not use slings or darts.

• Jesterblade (bard)
JESTERBLADE: The Jesterblade is well versed in the arts of ridicule and hilarity, and uses <PRO_HISHER> abilities to confuse enemies, cavorting madly during combat. Do not mistake <PRO_HIMHER> for a true fool, however. This bard is an expert fighter and adventurer, whose fighting style is lethally dangerous.

Advantages:
– The Jesterblade's song confuses enemies within 30 feet unless they save vs. Spell at a +2 bonus. The bonus lowers to +1 at level 5, +0 at level 10, -1 at level 15, and -2 at level 20.
– May place 3 slots in Two-Weapon Style.
– May use the Offensive Spin and Defensive Spin abilities once per day. Gains one use each at level 1 and an additional use each every 4 levels thereafter.

OFFENSIVE SPIN: During the next 4 rounds, the character gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, an extra attack per round, doubled movement speed, and all attacks deal maximum damage for the duration. Offensive Spin may not be used in conjunction with the Haste or Improved Haste spells.

DEFENSIVE SPIN: During the next 4 rounds, the character is rooted to the spot and gains a +1 bonus to Armor Class per level, up to a maximum of +10.

Disadvantages:
– Bard Song does not gain additional effects at higher levels.
– Only has one half the normal Lore value.
– Only has one half the normal Pick Pockets skill.
Post edited by Dan_P on

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Dan_P wrote: »
    I decided to make a kit mod. This isn't it, but these are kits I made for practice, as well as to figure out how I wanted to organize the install folder/files. This is for both EE and classic BG2.

GitHub: https://github.com/D2-mods/Misc-kits
    Download: https://github.com/D2-mods/Misc-kits/releases (v1.5)

Kits
    • Kensaizerker (fighter) - EE and classic
    • Monastery Swordsman (monk) - EE only
    • Jesterblade (bard) - EE and classic

Config.ini
    • Set a kit to = 0 to prevent install

Descriptions
    • Kensaizerker (Fighter)
    KENSAIZERKER: A variant of the kensai, or "sword saint", this warrior is in tune with <PRO_HISHER> animalistic side and, during combat, can achieve an ecstatic state of mind that will enable <PRO_HIMHER> to fight longer, harder, and more savagely than any person has a right to.

Advantages:
    – +2 bonus to Armor Class.
    – +1 to attack and damage rolls every 3 levels.
    – -1 bonus to Speed Factor every 4 levels.
    – May use the Enrage ability. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 4 levels thereafter.

ENRAGE: For 1 turn, the character gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, a +2 bonus to Armor Class, and immunity to charm, confusion, fear, feeblemind, hold, imprisonment, level drain, maze, stun, and sleep. The character also gains 15 temporary Hit Points which are taken away at the end of the berserk spree, possibly knocking <PRO_HIMHER> unconscious.

Disadvantages:
    – Becomes winded after berserking: -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage, and Armor Class.
    – May not wear any armor.
    – May not use missile weapons.
    – May not wear gauntlets or bracers.
    – Alignment restricted to any non-lawful.

• Monastery Swordsman (Monk)
    MONASTERY SWORDSMAN: Monks are warriors who pursue perfection through contemplation as well as action. Among them are a subset that have been specially trained to be one with their favored weapons. This Monk's best known feat is the ability to sever an opponent with a single strike.

Advantages:
    – May achieve High Mastery (four slots) in any weapon available to Monks.
    – May allocate two slots in Single Weapon Style and three slots in Two-Weapon Style.
    – +1 to attack and damage rolls every 4 levels.
    – 2nd level: May use the Blazing Weapon ability once per day. Gains additional uses every 4 levels thereafter.

BLAZING WEAPON: The monk channels inner light, shrouding weapons in an intense, but short-lived, flame. Melee attacks inflict an extra 2d6 fire damage per hit for the next round. The duration increases to 2 rounds at level 9, 3 rounds at level 12, 4 rounds at level 15, and 5 rounds at level 25.

– 13th level: May use the Sever ability once per day.

SEVER: A single deadly strike. The next successful attack within 2 rounds forces the target to save vs. Death at -2 or die. An opponent that survives the attack still suffers 5d6 slashing damage.

Disadvantages:

• Jesterblade (bard)
    JESTERBLADE: The Jesterblade is well versed in the arts of ridicule and hilarity, and uses <PRO_HISHER> abilities to confuse enemies, cavorting madly during combat. Do not mistake <PRO_HIMHER> for a true fool, however. This bard is an expert fighter and adventurer, whose fighting style is lethally dangerous.

Advantages:
    – The Jesterblade's song does not help allies. Instead, once each round, every enemy within 30 feet must save vs. Spell with a +2 bonus or be confused for 1 round.
    – May place 3 slots in Two-Weapon Style.
    – May use the Offensive Spin and Defensive Spin abilities once per day. Gains one use each at level 1 and an additional use each every 4 levels thereafter.

OFFENSIVE SPIN: During the next 4 rounds, the character gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, an extra attack per round, and doubled movement speed. As well, all attacks do maximum damage for the duration. Offensive Spin may not be used in conjunction with the Haste or Improved Haste spells.

DEFENSIVE SPIN: During the next 4 rounds, the character is rooted to the spot and gains a +1 bonus to Armor Class per level, up to a maximum of +10.

Disadvantages:
    – Bard Song does not gain additional effects at higher levels.
    – Only has one half the normal Lore value.
    – Only has one half the normal Pick Pockets skill.

Three very interesting kits, thank you!
  • Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 124
    Just bumping this to note that:

v1.9
    • added French translation, provided by 11jo

I also made a few smaller updates to this mod since I made this thread, mainly improving compatibility with other mods.
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    Hello @Dan_P, it seems that your last update broke the EET compatibility...

Installing [Misc kits by Dan_P] [2.2]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Copying 1 file ...
    Copying 1 file ...
    Copying 1 file ...

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [d2mk1s1.SPL] not found in KEY file:
            [./chitin.key]
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Misc kits by Dan_P], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall   4 files for [D2-RANDOMKITS/D2-RANDOMKITS.TP2] component 9999.
    Uninstalled      4 files for [D2-RANDOMKITS/D2-RANDOMKITS.TP2] component 9999.
    ERROR: Failure("resource [d2mk1s1.SPL] not found for 'COPY'")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-D2-RANDOMKITS.DEBUG and look for support at: Dan_P
    Using Language [English]

No problem on BG2EE with v.2.2.

The v.2.1 is installed without issue on EET.
    edited January 2023
    @JohnBob Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Edit: Still looking at it, but just noting that it installs fine in EET for me. I'm not getting that error.

Edit2:
    Could you try installing the v2.2 again? I tested it with the Artisan's Kitpack mod, which is the only mod I know of that could affect the install of this kit. No errors. Also tested the French language version and no error.

The only thing I can think of that could cause that error is the weidu installer messing up.
    Post edited by Dan_P on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited January 2023
    You may not be able to think of it, but there's probably something.

Looking through your code ...
    - Why are you replacing your tra references in EET? The number there doesn't become the in-game string reference number anyway; WeiDU adds a new entry to dialog.tlk and finds the number associated with that, if needed. You should never need different (AT) numbers between different versions of the game unless they're actually different in text. (All right, I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I have (AT)51109 and (AT)51209 both equal to "Wyrm's Crossing" in my tweak mod, associated with two different subcomponents. But at least those are part of a group that isn't the same all the way down; (AT)51130 and (AT)51230 are different.) [Edited to prevent bogus links]
    - You read SPCL321 to find its name as an in-game string. If that name isn't "Enrage" then the block that would create d2mk1s1.spl isn't run at all. When you try to COPY_EXISTING that a few steps later, that fails with an error. So if the name is different - say, because the game language isn't English - the installation breaks. Your mod is not, in fact, translation-compatible.
    jmerry wrote: »
    You may not be able to think of it, but there's probably something.

Looking through your code ...
    - Why are you replacing your tra references in EET? The number there doesn't become the in-game string reference number anyway; WeiDU adds a new entry to dialog.tlk and finds the number associated with that, if needed. You should never need different (AT) numbers between different versions of the game unless they're actually different in text. (All right, I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I have (AT)51109 and (AT)51209 both equal to "Wyrm's Crossing" in my tweak mod, associated with two different subcomponents. But at least those are part of a group that isn't the same all the way down; (AT)51130 and (AT)51230 are different.) [Edited to prevent bogus links]
    - You read SPCL321 to find its name as an in-game string. If that name isn't "Enrage" then the block that would create d2mk1s1.spl isn't run at all. When you try to COPY_EXISTING that a few steps later, that fails with an error. So if the name is different - say, because the game language isn't English - the installation breaks. Your mod is not, in fact, translation-compatible.

@jmerry Huh, that's probably it. Thanks. Of course, it's something obvious that I was missing. @JohnBob I'll get an update up soon.

I don't do anything different with EET, compared to BGEE. I do replace the @ references for games using classic BG2 engine because I write the kit descriptions in a different style.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Dan_P wrote: »
    I don't do anything different with EET, compared to BGEE. I do replace the @ references for games using classic BG2 engine because I write the kit descriptions in a different style.
    Right, I see the difference now. Objection withdrawn.
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    @Dan_P Great thanks !

And thanks @jmerry for your explanations !

edited January 2023
    This update fixes the install issue discussed above.

v2.3
    • Kensaizerker: Fixed an issue from the last update, which could cause this kit to fail to install.

Edit: The last few updates also created a potential issue for games using the classic BG2 engine.

v2.4
    • Fixed potential crash issues in classic BG2 (both Kensaizerker and Jesterblade).
    Post edited by Dan_P on
    Updated to v2.8

The main reason for this update was to test out the "ki pool" system by subtledoctor, and make a template for installing it. If I want to use an ability pool in the Workshop Kitpack later (still undecided), I can now just copy paste a file and change some resource names around.

• revised Monastery Swordsman kit. Now has 3 elemental weapon abilities (fire, wind, moon), and rebalanced using subtledoctor's ability pool system. Description below.
    • Jesterblade song now hits all enemies in visual range and improves with level (different from regular jester song). Unlike the Blade song, the Jester song quickly becomes useless if it doesn't scale at all.
    • many internal installer changes (mostly copied over from the Workshop Kitpack)

note: French translation is accurate up to v2.6.

--

Monastery Swordsman (updated description)

Advantages:
    – May achieve Grand Mastery (five slots) in any weapon available to Monks.
    – May place 2 slots in Single Weapon Style and 3 slots in Two-Weapon Style.
    – +1 to attack and damage rolls at 3rd level and an additional +1 bonus every 5 levels thereafter.
    – Gains ki points, which are used to activate kit abilities. Gains 1 ki point every 3 levels, up to a maximum of 10 points at level 30.
    – 3rd level: May use the Element—Fire, Element—Wind, and Element—Moon abilities. Each requires 1 ki point.

ELEMENT—FIRE/WIND/MOON: For 4 rounds, each successful melee attack deals an extra 2d6 fire, slashing, or magic damage. Only one element can be in effect at a time.

– 13th level: May use the Sever ability. Requires 1 ki point.

SEVER: A single deadly strike. The next successful attack within 2 rounds forces the target to make a save vs. Death at -2 or die. An opponent that survives the attack still suffers 5d6 slashing damage.

Disadvantages: