Skip to content

Use Any Item HLA Question

If you are a Mage/Thief or Fighter/Mage/Thief, and you take the Use Any Item High Level Ability, Can you cast your spells while wearing armor?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    No.
    With uai, mage/thief will be able to wear heavier armors that he couldn't previously (provided you have the strength requirements, if any.) but spell casting will still be blocked. Only special elven chainmail type armors allow spellcasting.

Fighter/mage/thief will get no benefit from uai armor wise, but will be able to use cleric only scrolls and paladin sword/bracers.

Btw, a kensai dualled into thief will be able to wear armor when he gains uai. That's quite a major power up.
  • deathgeonousdeathgeonous Member Posts: 64
    Thanks. I knew about the K to T, it's what made me think that this MIGHT work.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    there is only one piece of armor a thief benefits from without drawback with UAI, and that is the white dragon scale +6, it is the best AC armor a thief can wear while still getting all of their thieving abilities

although, once you hit the last chapter of ToB, you might as well be wearing some sort of full plate +2/+3 since you won't be needing your thief abilities anyway and also, you can still lay traps with heavy armor on as well, so even better
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I wonder if it is possible to apply an effect to a character who takes the UAI ability that would enable the spellcasting button despite most armors disabling it? I will have to look into that.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    That's interesting...on a side note, should thieves be able to lay traps while wearing non-thief heavy armour, or is this a bug that needs remedying?

Personally at the moment I think it's the latter. After all Set Trap is a thief skill like any other.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Dharius wrote: »
    That's interesting...on a side note, should thieves be able to lay traps while wearing non-thief heavy armour, or is this a bug that needs remedying?

Personally at the moment I think it's the latter. After all Set Trap is a thief skill like any other.

Not a bug, it's intentional. As it should be.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I wonder if it is possible to apply an effect to a character who takes the UAI ability that would enable the spellcasting button despite most armors disabling it? I will have to look into that.

so by the looks of it, the armors that dont allow spell casting have code 145 disable spell casting wizard on them

so you would have to find a way to make said thief somehow either immune to code 145 or somehow disable code 145
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Immunity to an opcode is easy. Not causing side effects is hard. For example, if you just blocked opcode 145, spells like Seeking Sword, Champion's Strength, Wraithform, and Tenser's Transformation would no longer stop your rogue from casting spells.

Applying it only to the armors? That might be possible, though I'm not sure. And if it is, it would definitely lead to compatibility issues with other mods that change the spell-restriction system.