Skip to content

BG2 / BGEET: Edwin disappears after he spawns.

KhaosBhaalspawnKhaosBhaalspawn Member Posts: 3
edited February 2023 in Troubleshooting
Here is what happens:

mr6llhbiyp5d.gif

I have no idea why this happens and had this bug in previously modded setups as well. Now i could just bypass this bug by using cheats to give myself the Key for Mae'Var's Strongbox, but i want to actually play through the Questline and for that i need Edwin.

I tried trimming the character file down ("EDWIN7.cre") and i'm pretty sure that's the way to go, but no results so far. Any ideas?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited February 2023
    Edwin is already present there before you ever enter the area - but the area script deactivates him. Which means that when you first enter the room, he may briefly appear and then disappear. Any added copies of Edwin will of course be deactivated by the same script.

Once you reach the appropriate point in the quest (Mae'var sends you to Edwin), the area script reactivates him. Here's AR0304.BCS in its entirety (before any mods):
    IF
    	GlobalLT("GoSeeEdwin","GLOBAL",2)
    	!Dead("MaeVar")  // Mae'Var
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		ActionOverride("Edwin",Deactivate(Myself))
    END

IF
    	Global("GoSeeEdwin","GLOBAL",2)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		SetGlobal("GoSeeEdwin","GLOBAL",3)
    		ActionOverride("Edwin",Activate(Myself))
    END

IF
    	Dead("MaeVar")  // Mae'Var
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    END

If you haven't yet reached that point in the quest, nothing is wrong. Continue, and then delete the extra copies of Edwin you spawned in when he activates. If you have reached that point and Edwin still isn't showing up, something's wrong with the variables; GoSeeEdwin should be set by Mae'Var's dialogue. A console command SetGlobal("GoSeeEdwin","GLOBAL",2) will put it in the right state.
  • KhaosBhaalspawnKhaosBhaalspawn Member Posts: 3
    jmerry wrote: »
    Edwin is already present there before you ever enter the area - but the area script deactivates him. Which means that when you first enter the room, he may briefly appear and then disappear. Any added copies of Edwin will of course be deactivated by the same script.

Once you reach the appropriate point in the quest (Mae'var sends you to Edwin), the area script reactivates him. Here's AR0304.BCS in its entirety (before any mods):
    IF
    	!Dead("MaeVar")  // Mae'Var
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		ActionOverride("Edwin",Deactivate(Myself))
    END

IF
    	Global("GoSeeEdwin","GLOBAL",2)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    END

IF
    	Dead("MaeVar")  // Mae'Var
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    END

If you haven't yet reached that point in the quest, nothing is wrong. Continue, and then delete the extra copies of Edwin you spawned in when he activates. If you have reached that point and Edwin still isn't showing up, something's wrong with the variables; GoSeeEdwin should be set by Mae'Var's dialogue. A console command SetGlobal("GoSeeEdwin","GLOBAL",2) will put it in the right state.

Thanks! Your solution worked.