Skip to content

[solved (partially)] Summons and Familiars - lock opening

PozaniczkaPozaniczka Member Posts: 7
edited March 2023 in BG:EE Mods
Hello, apologies for being terse but I'll get straight to the point(s).

1. I created a summon, gave it thief levels and find traps + disarm skill. It cannot open locks. In fact, it cannot click on containers at all (with the thievery skill). It can pickpocket just fine, which is strange. Is there some way to make a summon be able to open locks? Something in the *.eff file used to summon it or in the *.cre file itself? I don't mean through scripting (to open the nearest lock or disarm the nearest trap, I know that can be done but it's very hacky).

2. The second question is regarding the familiar summoning spell. Is there some way to prevent the following:
- the constitution loss on familiar death,
- the HP gain on familiar birth,
- the HP loss on familiar death.
I imagine using the #101 opcode applied to #10, #12 and #18 would do the trick but I have a hard time applying it just before the familiar dies. Am I forced to do it in a script action (apply the protection opcodes, kill the familiar, remove the protection opcodes)?

Basically, I want to make a single familiar that gets upgrades every few levels (9 times, as there are 9 possible familiar templates to use). To get upgraded, it needs to die so that it can be summoned again, this time stronger.

Any thoughts? Helping me with this will get you.... well, nothing really, just some satisfaction derived from being a modding guru.

Thanks.
Post edited by Pozaniczka on

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    #2: Tome & Blood has you covered.

#1: Maybe EEex would work. Ask more there.
  • PozaniczkaPozaniczka Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, I'll check how Tome & Blood does its thing.

I didn't yet get to play with EEex so I guess now's the time.
    Just a follow up regarding #2:

To prevent HP gain it is enough to modify the find familiar spell (SPWI123.spl) so as to add effect #101 (protection from effect) so that it protects from #18 (maximum hp modifier)

To prevent HP/constitution loss it is enough to modify the familiar *.cre file so that it has a permanent effect #101 so that it protects from #195 (death dependent constitution loss).

Looking up Tome & Blood certainly helped so thanks again.
    Ask on the EEex thread how to handle thieving skills, regardless of EEex.
    I wouldn't dare derail a thread like that :).

One more thing I learned about familiars though. In SoA you set them up in baldur.gam but for ToB you also need to extended familiar filenames with "25". If your familiars end with 25 naturally, then strange things happen.
    More Style for Mages (MSFM) has some abilities to make thieving familiars with bonuses to thieving skills. Use this newest version which is also linked near the end of the thread.