Skip to content

Multiplayer servers and custom portraits

Any chance that you guys could sneak in a feature where portraits could be auto-synced across players on a persistent world?

Obviously this should be a feature you can toggle on/off, and maybe even have content moderation controls (like a DM or server owner can review submitted portraits and then enable/approve them so they get sync'd)

Right now, custom portraits are cumbersome to get to other players, and it's just disappointing knowing no one can see it but yourself

Comments

• Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited March 2023
    The problem I see with such a feature is it forces potentially unwanted images onto others. Custom images could potentially be offensive or inappropriate for minors to see. Even if the server owner can review them, one person's idea of "offensive" can be different from another persons. Asking for such a feature would also put the onus on beamdog or possibly the server owner to police such images, and potentially open them up to legal action in some cases. I don't think they will want to take on that responsibility, especially at this stage.

The best thing I think a server owner can do is prepare a preset portrait pack as an optional download on their site, and perhaps a forum where people can share their custom portraits. But expecting the game itself to facilitate the sharing is probably not realistic. It might be disappointing that others can't see your portrait, but then again, some people may not want to see it, but they may want to see someone else's, so an on/off toggle wouldn't work.