Skip to content

Haer’Dalis bug?

I killed Mekrath after accepting his quest. I saved Haer and then he asked me to get the gem off the altar. I did that and he said he wouldn’t touch it I need to bring it to Raelis. I added him to my group then removed him to keep my current party with intention of grabbing him later. He said he’d meet me at the five flagons. I left the wizard base and went and start the unseen eye quest. When I got back to the flagon I gave Raelis the gem she started the portal giving me the monetary reward and said Haer dalis would explain the rest. One problem he is still in the wizard base and only gives me a line of dialogue that I can not respond to. Did I futz this all up?

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Yes, you did.

It will take some clua console wizardry to fix this, set some variables for quest stages and dialogues.. I'm not sure it even can be salvaged. I'm not savvy enough with the console to help you with this.

Perhaps someone else here is.

Easiest might be to have some earlier save to roll back to and just enable story mode to catch up.. dunno.
  • portalbendarwindenportalbendarwinden Member Posts: 4
    Khyron wrote: »
    Yes, you did.

It will take some clua console wizardry to fix this, set some variables for quest stages and dialogues.. I'm not sure it even can be salvaged. I'm not savvy enough with the console to help you with this.

Perhaps someone else here is.

Easiest might be to have some earlier save to roll back to and just enable story mode to catch up.. dunno.

I am UNFORTUNATELY playing on switch as I wanted to relive my childhood on the go. Doesn’t matter I realized I had let my familiar die a bunch and had 1 constitution at level 15 so I restarted haha.

Any idea on how to avoid that bug next time?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Right, trying to figure out what happened here...

Potential party members have several possible dialogue files associated with them, which change based on their party status. Haer'Dalis starts with haerda.DLG, gets haerdaj if he joins the party, and then haerdap if he leaves the party.

When you let him go in Mekrath's lair, you got this line from haerdap:

"Aye, then, I shall go. But the gem I mentioned still needs taking from Mekrath's lair. I shall await your arrival at the playhouse beneath the Five Flagons Inn... bring the gem there, I beg of you!"
    Conditions to get that line: you don't have the gem, and Raelis doesn't have it yet either.
    Actions taken once that line is delivered:
    - Set two global variables to track the quest state; "HaerDalisGemQuest" becomes zero and "HaerDalisMove" becomes 1.
    - Haer'Dalis gets his dialogue set to haerda
    - Haer'Dalis leaves the area and moves to the playhouse.

Obviously, things glitched. That last action wasn't taken, and he didn't move. But from what you said of how he responds later, I'm pretty sure the dialogue change did happen. If it hadn't and you delivered the gem, you'd get this line:
    "*sigh* Well, the question to be asked is whether we allow entropy to rend the group asunder. Is it time to move on?"
    And then you get the choice to take him back into the party or not.

Back in the haerda dialogue, there's this line:
    "Be on the wary, my raven. Anything could come through the conduits and endanger us all."
    Conditions: You gave Raelis the gem, and haven't gone into the planar prison yet.
    No actions, no responses.

Now, when you give Raelis the gem in this state, the conversation is supposed to jump to Haer'Dalis after that "Haer'Dalis, tell them what we are about" line. With him not present in the area, that can't happen and the dialogue terminates abruptly. That means the conversation never reaches the point of activating the cutscene that would actually open the portal.
    And now, with the variables as they are, you can't talk to Raelis at all; you don't meet the conditions for any of her lines. No way to progress the quest.

This one broke the moment Haer'Dalis failed to move as he was supposed to. Up until you talked to Raelis, moving him to the playhouse or creating a new copy there could have fixed things; once you talked to her and got that broken conversation, only variable-editing could fix it.

Where you are now ... do you have any saves back before things went wrong in Mekrath's lair? Reverting to one of those would give another chance for things to go right.
  • portalbendarwindenportalbendarwinden Member Posts: 4
    jmerry wrote: »
    Right, trying to figure out what happened here...

Potential party members have several possible dialogue files associated with them, which change based on their party status. Haer'Dalis starts with haerda.DLG, gets haerdaj if he joins the party, and then haerdap if he leaves the party.

When you let him go in Mekrath's lair, you got this line from haerdap:

"Aye, then, I shall go. But the gem I mentioned still needs taking from Mekrath's lair. I shall await your arrival at the playhouse beneath the Five Flagons Inn... bring the gem there, I beg of you!"
    Conditions to get that line: you don't have the gem, and Raelis doesn't have it yet either.
    Actions taken once that line is delivered:
    - Set two global variables to track the quest state; "HaerDalisGemQuest" becomes zero and "HaerDalisMove" becomes 1.
    - Haer'Dalis gets his dialogue set to haerda
    - Haer'Dalis leaves the area and moves to the playhouse.

Obviously, things glitched. That last action wasn't taken, and he didn't move. But from what you said of how he responds later, I'm pretty sure the dialogue change did happen. If it hadn't and you delivered the gem, you'd get this line:
    "*sigh* Well, the question to be asked is whether we allow entropy to rend the group asunder. Is it time to move on?"
    And then you get the choice to take him back into the party or not.

Back in the haerda dialogue, there's this line:
    "Be on the wary, my raven. Anything could come through the conduits and endanger us all."
    Conditions: You gave Raelis the gem, and haven't gone into the planar prison yet.
    No actions, no responses.

Now, when you give Raelis the gem in this state, the conversation is supposed to jump to Haer'Dalis after that "Haer'Dalis, tell them what we are about" line. With him not present in the area, that can't happen and the dialogue terminates abruptly. That means the conversation never reaches the point of activating the cutscene that would actually open the portal.
    And now, with the variables as they are, you can't talk to Raelis at all; you don't meet the conditions for any of her lines. No way to progress the quest.

This one broke the moment Haer'Dalis failed to move as he was supposed to. Up until you talked to Raelis, moving him to the playhouse or creating a new copy there could have fixed things; once you talked to her and got that broken conversation, only variable-editing could fix it.

Where you are now ... do you have any saves back before things went wrong in Mekrath's lair? Reverting to one of those would give another chance for things to go right.

So I had to restart my game anyway and tested some things out. It seems to have bugged when I met Haer and added him to my party but immediately removed him (added him> asks who to remove to make room> choosing Haer> left with original party and the dialogue that says he’ll meet me at the five flagons) then I grab the gem and tried to give it to him he told me to give it to Rae. I realized that’s the dialogue he’d give me at the flagon. So that seems to be what I futz’d