Skip to content

Improved Shadowstep (BGEE)

royalprotectorroyalprotector Member Posts: 42
edited May 2022 in General Modding
Here's the description of the new ability

"Shadowstep
The character steps into the Shadow Plane and may move for 7 seconds while others are frozen in time. The caster cannot attack or cast spells while in the Shadow Plane.

Due to the plane shift and the nature of the Shadow plane, the character gains a few benefits:

First, for the duration of Shadowstep, the character is considered invisble and thus anyone targetting the character stop doing so.

Second, because of the time it provides the character to think their actions through, for 10 seconds, the character gets a bonus to Saving Throws of 3, AC bonus of 6, +1 to Luck and Critical Hit chances and has no chance of critically missing a target.

Third, remnant shadowstuff envelops the character, providing 10 seconds of 15% damage resistance.

Lastly, the character may move progressively faster and thus cover bigger distances while in the Shadow Plane for every 5 levels after level 5."

Also it ignores silence, dead or wild magic.

Another thing. Because Time Stop is inherently inaccurate (the time it lasts is slightly variable, a bug that has not been addressed), I reduced the time of all the effects that prevent attacking to 6 seconds. So there is a chance you will be able to attack before exiting the time stop effect. This is to prevent you from being unable to attack after the time stop ends for a second, which is annoying. To know when you can attack, look at the buttons; when they become active again, you can attack. This of course carries the "risk" of being able to attack during the time stop effect, resulting in automatic hit. Call it a feature.

My motivation for this change is that I LOVE Shadowdancers and in general any character in a game that can "cloak". Invisibility is cool. And that I find the default Shadowstep pretty meh... The description of the class overstates the actual effectiveness of the class, so here's something to make it more interesting.

BONUS: Here's a roleplaying limitation to Shadowdancers to make them more balanced and interesting for your next playthrough. Hiding in plain sight can be a bit... well, broken, because NPCs usually don't have the AI to handle that sort of thing and the ability activation does not have any penalties AFAIK. So assume the following limitation for your next playthrough: you can ONLY hide in plain sight IF you are under a shadow, at night unless under a bright light, in a Sanctuary, in interiors unless they are brightly lit, and during Shadowstep. Use your best judgments.

Have fun, and let me know how it goes if you try it.

Post edited by royalprotector on

Comments